Thursday 16 March 2017

Another day- another dollar.

I think everyone imagines a time when their life is a scene from a movie- like when Rose walks down the stair case into the adoring arms of Jack in Titanic, or the romantic kiss in the lake scene in The Notebook. Well yesterday I found myself in a scene from a movie.

Everyone knows Dangerous Minds. That film from the 90's where Michelle Pfeiffer finds herself teaching the disengaged kids in the roughest school and wins them over and inspires them to read poetry and stuff. And the song Gangsta's Paradise is in it. Well I found myself in a scene from that movie. Just not at the inspiring bit. I was at the bit at the beginning when she walks into the room, no one listens to her and chaos occurs. 



To make myself feel better- it was last period, and it is a class mostly full of disengaged boys - but it was closest to a zoo I have ever experienced. We were watching Southpaw ( they like the music- put a movie on with a song that is by a rapper with a bit of swearing- teenage boy GOLD). Then they all had to do demonstrations of what a Southpaw was. Its a boxing move- so I had boys boxing. The ones watching were banging their iced tea bottles ( I know right?? How weird that teenage boys drink iced tea) in support of the boxing. Then for some reason they wanted to know which Kardashian I would pick if I was a boy (Kendall obviously). The boys all went for Kylie. Then somehow baby spiders started falling from the roof (don't ask), this of course resulted in all the girls squealing and the alpha boys coming to the rescue. In another corner I had one boy yelling at me to see how another boy could make a connection between Jake Gyllenhaal and any other actor in 5 steps (which to be fair was quite impressive).  I then had a knock at the door and it was 4 boys smiling at me - saying that they wanted to come into the class. I looked at them and it took all my self control to not say " Are you fucking kidding me?"  In the end I had no choice but to go with it. There was no way I was going to win this one. I gave up on trying to teach them the finer details of establishing a protagonist and antagonist and setting up a narrative for a drama and just put on the damn movie. Because some days you just have to.

It's not all bad though- today the girls told me I needed to set up a " Look of the Day " Instagram account, one of the boys told me that my hair looked nice, and one of my Year 12's told a Year 11 "yeah- you think you aren't learning anything in here and then you sit the exam and think 'wow- I totally have learnt stuff." (At least I think thats a compliment).

And then I have what I like to call total Emma moments. Like today when I found myself standing in front of 20 16 years olds reading the lyrics of Flo Rida's " Whistle"  ( here is a sample of the chorus for you all )

Can you blow my whistle baby, whistle baby
Let me know
Girl I'm gonna show you how to do it
And we start real slow
You just put your lips together
And you come real close
Can you blow my whistle baby, whistle baby
Here we go


When I look down and see that my shirt button had popped open (obviously due to my excitement reading out the riveting lyrics). It's really hard to try and discreetly do up your shirt- reading dirty song lyrics, hoping to god that they don't notice the impending wardrobe malfunction, when I was already a little bit mortified (and blushing) that I was reciting  Flo Rida telling people to "slow it down baby- take a little longer" when they are blowing his whistle.

Here is Flo Rida. Obviously trying to find his whistle.

And then the cherry on top of my day was when I stood at the carpark looking for my car. When I was about to panic that it had been stolen I remembered I had parked it at the other side of the school. Of course I had. No wonder I drink.





No comments:

Post a Comment