Sunday 7 December 2014

HOLA! Welcome to my new club!

HOLA!
So my friends and I have come up with this idea. You see we always go to the same places for dinner, and as we live near an amazing cafe strip we decided it was time to branch out.

This is how it goes. Once a month one of us picks a restaurant that either one of us or none of us have ever been to before. We then rate it out of ten and then average out the score. I will then of course report the results.

First pick was mine- and I picked a place called 6101. It is a tapas bar although as it is not licensed you have to bring your own booze. An interesting pick for me considering that I hate sharing. Now I had been there before with my drinking club who sometimes reads books (see I am  longer trying to fool myself that we are a book club), but I was not very impressed. In its defence it was only quite new so I decided that everything needs a second chance.



The restaurant is tiny and has very few tables, but does have a super cute courtyard out the back. It also has the biggest toilet in the world. It is bisexual- no thats the wrong word - unisex.

We were lead out to the courtyard and had a nice little corner table, although if I was being really picky the bench seats might be a little bit high for the table. Our waiter was Italian, spoke very little English and even less Spanish so ordering was fun. He was pleasant enough and smiled a lot. You know that smile thats says 'I have no idea what you are saying but I will smile and nod and make the rest up." Which is kind of what he did with our order. But I will get to that later.
The super cute and cosy courtyard

We opened our wine (no corkage-win) and started making sense of the menu. I wish on a tapas menu they would give you an idea of how many items you should order on the menu,like " we suggest one tapas per person" because I never quite know how many dishes to get. Our waiter couldn't help us. When I asked him how many dishes we should get he just smiled and said "Yes".

We decided on 6 tapas and a paella (which is a main for 2) to share it. Or so we thought. The tapas was-

  • short ribs (yum)
  • scallops (super yum)
  • eggplant (yum)
  • chorizo (smokey and a bit "soft" but yum in a weird kind of way)
  • potatoes (yum)
  • sardines ( sort of ok- but I don't like sardines so maybe they were good)
We had eaten all our tapas when our waiter came out and asked us if we wanted coffee or dessert. I told him we were waiting for our Paella. He did that smile thing.

Then the owner came out and asked if she could clear the table. We told her we were waiting for our paella. She gave us the blank look as well and walked into the kitchen. It would seem out poor waiter had forgotten to write it down. Even though I told him 3 times we wanted the paella. 

The yummy paella

The owner was horrified- she got the chefs to pop on a Paella (it takes 40 minutes to cook) but the wait was worth it. It was really nice, full of seafood and really tasty.Unfortunately we did see our poor little waiter get his bag and walk out the door. Not sure if his shift was over, or his short lived career at a Spanish restaurant was over- maybe he should try an Italian restaurant next.

We had dessert because you can never say no to Churros. Man they were good. Crispy, sugary with a yummy not overly sweet chocolate sauce. We also had the creme catalina which is sort of like a Spanish creme brûlée. Oh my god it was amazing. Really, really amazing.Especially if you dip your churros into it.

We talked to the soon to be new owner as we waited for our paella. She seems really enthusiastic, and explained that they had two new chefs, and she was looking for new wait staff. The food was way better than the last time I was there and I would like to go back and have the paella all to myself, or maybe just go for coffee, churros and the creme catalina.

The final scores were 8's from the females and 7 from the males, making the average score a 7.5. Not bad, not bad at all. 

Here are the details if you ever find yourself in Victoria Park.

6101 Tapas Bar
604 Albany Hwy Vic Park
BYO.

No comments:

Post a Comment