Tuesday 21 April 2015

Job interviews are a funny thing..

I have found myself in two strange situations lately- the situation of the job interview. This is unusual because I think I have had two interviews in the last 10 years. They are weird because after spending most of your life NOT talking yourself up, you spend 30 minutes, well, talking your self up.



My two interviews have been interesting because they have both been essentially for the same job at two different places. One where I work and another at a place I obviously don't work. The jury is still out on whether or not it is easier to be interviewed by people who know you or people who don't. In one situation you have to pretend you don't know them, and in the other situation you have to pretend that you DO know them so you don't get to nervous.

So in the case of the most recent interview obviously the first things that came to mind were
1. What should I wear  and
2. My hair really needs doing and my hairdresser is away (look away now Dawnie- but I bought a colour from the supermarket and got my friends to pop it in after a few wines).

So as my interview day fell right in the middle of my camping trip I realised I would have to come home early. So I left the comfort of my single bed air mattress in a tent (for the record the only way to sleep in one of those when it is cold is like a mummy- an Egyptian one, not a mummy mummy, that is why if you see me I am walking with hunched up shoulders) and decided to go home and have a good nights sleep and a shower in a place where I don't have to wear thongs. Or fight two 12 years olds who are straightening their hair, for the mirror. In case you are interested after they did their hair they did bog laps around the caravan park. Like 4 bog laps, looking like baby prostitutes, or Ariana Grande. 


I spent the night before studying for the interview. Well ok I spent the night before the interview binge watching the Real Housewives of everywhere, drinking wine- to calm my nerves obviously- and then doing some study. Ask me all about the ATSIL standards, I have the app on my phone. (feel free to disown me now). For the record these are the standards that teachers should reach to be a good teacher. We have standards now- who knew!!!

I woke up in the morning and decided that I didn't want a new job at all and didn't want to go. Then I slapped myself and told myself to pull myself together. And then I took a great big swig of Bach's Rescue Remedy. 

This stuff is the bomb. It is like meditation in a bottle.


I took my puppies for a walk, had a coffee and a chat with my friend, came home, kept telling myself I could do this, had some more rescue remedy, put on my grown up dress and shoes and popped on my red lippy and off I went.

This is my grown up dress. It is from Witchery.
                                                 
I got there early, of course, and sat in the car trying to tell myself to be cool. I checked the email to see that I had the day and time right. 6 times. I checked the name of the person I had to find. 6 times. I checked the time on my car clock, my phone and my watch. They were all different. I decided to go with the iphone- Apple couldn't be wrong.  I worked out how long it would take me to walk to the front door (30 seconds), I double checked what the target attainment rate for the school was,(seriously) I came up with two questions (because I never have a question to ask them and I feel I should), I checked my teeth for lipstick, drank some more rescue remedy, popped in a mint (but NOT a mintie,


 no one needs a dental emergency before an interview), waited for my iphone to pop over to 9:59 and 30 seconds, (my interview was at 10:05 you always have to be early) told myself one last time to be cool, opened the car door and then I walked towards the admin building. Halfway to the door I had to pull my knickers out of my butt, and my then my heel got stuck in the pavement. At this stage all I can hope is that the room I am being interviewed in does not overlook the entrance.

I took a deep breath, told myself one more time that I can do this,remembered my mantra "Be Brave"and open the door........

No comments:

Post a Comment