Friday 10 July 2015

You want massage?

Bali is the land of many things- beauty, volcanos, Bintangs and of course massages. There are many different avenues to have a massage- from your $7 massage to your $300 massage that will promise to rebalance and heal parts of your mind, body and soul that you didn't know existed.

I decided that on this trip to Bali  I would go explore the mind, body and soul avenue- so my first stop was Jari Menari "Dancing Fingers" which promises a massage to "enhance relaxation and dispel tension using slow movement focusing on each individual quest." ( I copied that blurb- even I couldn't make that up).

I had the Singing Bowl enhanced massage (Rp 435,000 or $45AUD ). The singing bowl massage is based on an Ancient Tibetan practise that combines both sound, vibration and physical massage. I am over simplifying it but read this for a more detailed explanation. It promises to rebalance and heal. Jari Menari  explain it here as well.

The massage started like like this- a buff Balinese man offered me a sarong and a lovely pair of black paper knickers and led me to a change room.  After I changed my attire he then led me to a room where I lay on a bed as he draped my sarong over me and the bliss began. Now at this stage this is reading like a dodgy romance novel but stay with me.

The first half was just a normal massage- but then the bowl came out. (no that is not code for anything else). He started at my feet and tapped the bowl and the vibrations did their magic. I could feel the vibrations reverberating all through my body. I can't really describe exactly how it worked but all I can say is that before I knew it the tears were flowing and snot was hitting the tiles on the floor.  I had been told to prepare myself for a "retuning of my vibrations" but I wasn't prepared for this. I had the most amazing sense of clarity come over me. It was as though all the concerns and worries I have had for the last 6 months were overtaken by this amazing sense of reason and peace.

I then rolled over and Made (my buff Bali boy) looked at me and handed me the tissues. We didn't need words. He began working on my front and lets just say when that singing bowl hit my head it went nuts. Well not literally hit my head- but softly caressed my head. It was as if I could feel my brain relaxing, and the stress coming out of my ears.

I floated out of that cubicle and was in a dream like state and afterwards I felt amazing. Calm, serene and happy. So happy and carefree that when I got to the beach for sundown drinks I bought a sarong AND got some braids put in my hair!

Don't worry the braids came out .

The next instalment of the Mind, Body and Soul excursion was at the Ayana Resort in their Aquatonic pool. This pool contains  700 million litres of water supplied by the Indian Ocean. The water is heated to a level that rebalances mineral deficiencies.  As you float you work your way through 60 therapeutic jets that massage your body, injured muscles, relieves stress and encourages relaxation. Well let me just say it was not at all relaxing. Some of those jets really hurt and if you are not standing in the right place you can end up with a complimentary colonic irrigation. Through the whole thing I was not actually sure if I was enjoying it. My body was tingling, my legs were literally shaking and parts of me were sore.

Thirty minutes later my question as to whether it was effective or not was answered when we arrived at the Rock Bar (which is situated in the same resort). I looked at my two girlfriends, who also had the treatment with me, and we all had a glazed "I really need to sleep" look on our faces. It was probably best that we were relaxed because let's just say those amazing sunset drinks do not come cheap.

The waiting area of the Spa.
I can definitely see this treatment being amazing for people with sore, tired muscles, but for me I can't see myself doing it again. It cost us roughly $50AUD, and the resort is spectacular and the whole "process" is divine. And did I mention the Rock Bar?

Two very relaxed Aquatonic'd bodies
I am not sure what my next treatment will be but I am heading back to Jari Menari this afternoon. I can definitely see another singing bowl in my future.


No comments:

Post a Comment