Sunday 8 May 2016

I'm in a clothing rut.

I love clothes. Like totally love. I have so many clothes it is a bit embarrassing. Although it would appear that I don't have as many clothes as one of my work friends who has 51 dresses. Yes 51. She asked me if that was excessive. My reply was  that if she loves each and every one of them it is perfectly acceptable. 


One of my other friends is going through a time of "cleansing". It has a real name but I can't remember what it is, but it goes like this- you hold you stuff and if it doesn't bring you joy- get rid of it. I don't even need to say that all my clothes bring me joy. But the problem- which isn't really a problem - is that all my clothes are either black, white or grey and if I am feeling really daring I will throw in the odd stripe.  

My work uniform for winter is an oversized jumper with leggings. And a scarf. And boots. Thats it. Done. Comfy, classic and practical. Hopefully a bit stylish.

So this Winter I have decided to mix things up a bit. I have revamped my wardrobe and I have bought dresses. And I have introduced florals. FLORALS. 

My floral dress. From The Iconic- Atmos and Here. It was about $50. I got a larger size so it was a bit longer.
                                             

Well let me tell you it hasn't been an easy transition. For a variety of reasons.

1. Dresses and teaching don't go together very well.
I teach a subject which requires me to at times crawl under desks to connect cables. I have to bend over and fix computers. I even have to bend over to write on the board. In a dress this is hard. I was actually doing squats when trying to write what makes a Baz Luhrman film popular to an audience. (Yes that is really part of my job) It's hard to convince boys that Leo Di Caprio is hot when your thighs are burning.

Another of my dresses. Once again from The Iconic- Atmos and Here 
                                             

2. People look at you weird.
I can't tell you how many puzzled looks I get. The look that says ' You look wrong", or "It's nice... but not like what you wear." I understand. I look at the mirror and get confused. Kind of like when I open the camera on my phone and it is on selfie mode and I see an old person staring back at me. And then realise it's me.

3. People keep asking if I'm going to a job interview.
No- I'm just trying to look like a lady.

4. It's a but uncomfortable.
I have to keep pulling them down, checking you can't see my knickers, pulling them up to check you can't see my boobs and pulling up my tights. Why do they call them tights if they are not tight?

This is the tree pose. Yes I do stand like this. Prayer hands are optional- depending on how bad the kids are. If you are teaching Year 8's your hands are constantly in this position.


5. You have to stand and sit nicely.
I stand weird. My comfy way to stand is the Tree Yoga pose. Or I like to sit on a desk. Or sometimes I even do a bit of both-I stand but with one leg on the desk. In a dress I can't do this. I have to stand or sit nicely. Like I am Princess Kate sitting on the bench in front of the Taj Mahal. ( I have also been practising being dull to complete the look).Do you know how hard it is to sit without crossing your legs?

Yep- this is how I am now sitting. Complete with blow dry. But without the Prince.
                           
So I am sticking with it. I think I might try and reintroduce some of my staples back in, but I will keep up some variety. Mix things up, keep people on their toes. Get out of my rut. I might even go really crazy and introduce a whole colour. Like purple. Just not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment