Monday 11 December 2017

I have a dirty little secret.......

I have a dirty little secret... I hope you are sitting down. I love country music. Not Taylor Swift country, not Miley Cyrus country ( although who doesn't love The Climb, or Party in the USA for that matter) but the real deal. I'm talking Keith Urban, Luke Combs, Luke Ryan (hang on what sort of country name is Luke??) country.



I have always been partial to a bit of country, in fact when I was little I would walk around the house singing to John Denver, but somewhere a long the line my teenage years kicked in and all I wanted to do was marry John Taylor from Duran Duran. Well to be honest I probably still do.  But since I have been on my extended home stay and I have got sick of listening to the top 40 I decided the other day to click onto the country top 40. Lets just say my life has changed. And not just because my 12 year old keeps yelling at me to " turn that music off".

Country music for the record is the top selling music in the world. And no, not just because the majority of people who listen to it don't have technology so they buy CD's. It's because it's good, and catchy, funny and has such meaningful lyrics. They sing about love, heartbreak, and picking up chicks at hooters all in the same song. They are , sorry Kayne West, lyrical genius's.

Here are some examples from my favourite country tracks of the moment, which are on high rotation in my house, car and my head.

1. " Sometimes you gotta drink about somebody, but that ain't gonna bring 'em back."
 Preach to that Morgan Evans- it may not bring them back, but it sure does make you feel better... until the next day that is.

2." Then I got the last spot in the Hooters parking lot, and the waitress left her number on my check with a heart, she picked up on the first ring when I gave her a call, and now I spent 5 bucks at the Moose Club raffle, won a used four wheeler and three free passes for me and two of my buddies to play a round of golf."
One word for you Luke Combs. WINNING. I don't know what the Moose Club is, but I sure want to go.

3. " People talk about what is and what isn't country..... is it the size of your tires and your fires, or your wild arse buddies?"
Very good question Luke Bryan.

4." First time I tied a plastic worm and felt it on the other end, it was get on the net, get him in the boat, Yeah buddy, I was hooked on it."
Now I have never been hooked on fishing, but this songs damn well makes me want to be.

5. " The moon went hiding, stars quit shining, the rain was dropping, thunder, lightning, you wrecked my whole world when you came and hit me like a hurricane."
Mmmm this may resonate with me because I may or may not have been called Hurricane Emma before. Although I'm sure I've never wrecked anyone's life... although maybe don't ask either of my ex husbands that.

6. " Shake it for the young bucks sittin in the honky- tonks, for the rednecks rockin' till the break of dawn... country girl shake it for me."
I think this is the country version of ' Get Low"- you know  the " from the windows to wall, feel the sweat drip down my ..... " I'm sure you know the rest.

7. " You know I like my chicken fried, and a cold beer on a Friday night, a pair of jeans that fit just right, and the radioooooo up".
Who doesn't Zac Brown Band, who doesn't.

8. " There is no dollar sign on peace of mind."
Amen to that.

So if you need me, this urban girl will be sitting on her verandah listening to police sirens wishing I was sitting on my verandah in Nashville.

No comments:

Post a Comment