Tuesday 4 March 2014

Shall we do a film review? I think so

I love movies, like really love them, but I have a tendency to fall asleep when I watch them. This is why the best places for me to watch a good flick is either in one of my classes, or on a plane.
 Lucky for me I have done a bit of travelling lately, so I have seen a few movies.


On my latest journey, I watched Gravity. The space movie with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Yep thats it. Just the two of them because the other two don't really count, because one has his face kind of ripped off and the other just floats around dead the only time you see her. Worst role in a movie ever- except maybe for the role of George Clooney's wife in The Descendants. Imagine getting the call- " Hey good news, you got the role of George Clooney's wife, except that you are in a coma the whole movie and don't get to kiss him. Not even once."

So Gravity. I had attempted to watch this twice before. The first was a copy I found. Well I found it on a students USB. After I told him about the evils of illegally downloading it I may have had a little look. I tried to fast forward it until she got out of space. Yep that didn't happen. The second time was on the plane on the way over to Melbourne. I got 15 minutes in and then decided to watch Extreme Couponing instead.  My husband gave me the whole " How could you not appreciate the film, it was amazing."

Amazing? Really? What did I miss. So on the way home I was up for the challenge (and I had already watched Extreme Couponing and Downton Abbey.). Now I have to add a disclaimer here. I DON"T LIKE SPACE. Yep thats me. I don't find it interesting, I don't want to go, like, EVER! I don't get why so much money is spent on space travel and I never , ever wanted to be an Astronaut. Not even when I watched I Dream of Jeannie in the 70's. So strike one against the film. I did however think my love of George Clooney and my like of Sandra Bullock would balance it out.



The movie begins in Space. Sandra Bullock is a whiz bang clever person who is fixing some thing on the space station. She is not usually in space, she works in a hospital - I didn't see the connection either. George is like the boss. He is floating around in this suit with propellers or jets or whatever they are called. George is witty and funny, whilst Sandra is uptight and smart. Then disaster- (or in media terms the disequilibrium)hits. Literally. The damn Russians have stuffed up one of their satellites and space junk is orbiting around in Space. George orders Sandra to stop working, but because she is so committed and can't work out why she is in space, she disobeys him. Did I mention that she is also Space sick? Thats like travel sick, but in Space.

Damn  those Russians, the space junk hits them. Sandra floats around and make this bizarre groaning sound. It is like her scared voice. She separates from George (I would cry about that as well). The she floats, and spins, and tumbles and BANG.  She bangs into George. Now call me crazy, but in the whole  of space she magically finds George. Really? He attaches her to him with a cord. Lucky. I would like to be attached to George, even if it meant being in Space.

They go to their Space ship. Destroyed. Damn you Russia. The options are  head to the Russian Station and then the Chinese station. They head to Russia first because they have Vodka. They bond as they are floating through Space- Sandra tells George about her daughter that died and where she is from (nice bit of character development there), then George runs out of gas, and he has to let Sandra go and he floats off into the distance, or maybe something happened when they got hit by Space junk. I can't remember. It doesn't matter. Lets just say George dies.

Sandra's day just keeps getting worse. Now she is alone. In Space. She somehow gets to the Russian Station. No one is there. Then a fire breaks out. The she has to like eject the escape pod, which is easy to do because she just reads the manual which is in Russian and she can still do it. Somewhere along the line, she decides she has had enough of a bad day and turns her oxygen off and then has a fantasy about George Clooney who is talking to her. She is not the first on to do that  (have the fantasy about George). She hits more space junk, (damn you Russia) Can this day get worse????? You know it can!!

More bad stuff happens, she gets to the Chinese station. All dead there as well (damn you Russia) She decides to live, and won't give in , tells the spirit of dead George to say hello to her little girl, she gets out the instruction manual that is written in Chinese,  (once again flying this space shuttle business must be super easy because she can do it). She its the button and bam- she is off. 

Now this is the funny bit, because as she is throttling down to Earth and it is really rough, the plane I am on is hitting turbulence and the plane started jumping. It was like 4D. Anyway the escape pod gets super hot on re entry,  we know this because she says she is hot and the pod is going red, the pod lands. In the water. She is safe. OH NO SHE IS NOT. (This is seriously her worst day. EVER. Even worse that the day she had when she was in the movie 28 Days and went to rehab. Not the Zombie movie, thats 28 Days Later)

She makes the fatal mistake of opening the pod. The water pours in. She is drowning...... or is she???



So there you have it. Gravity. Or its other title " You think your day was bad???".     There is a lot of heavy symbolism in it, like the umbilical cord, being reborn, letting go of the past,blah, blah, blah, but I think that gets a little lost the first time you see it. The making of is pretty interesting, although I am fascinated by the magic that goes into making film



The movie was ok, and made by the production company co owned by Jamie Packer. This makes me excited, because maybe if George is friends with Jamie, he might come to Crown in Perth, find me and fall in love. And that would have me floating off into space.

videos from youtube, images via Pintrest

No comments:

Post a Comment