Thursday 3 April 2014

My night of Sex and the City (well Crown)


Sooo on Wednesday night I went to the amazing Nobu to have a dinner in the presence of the most amazing costume designer (well maybe apart from Catherine Martin) Patricia Field. She is the CD for Sex and the City- the tv show and the movie. Notice I said movie because I don't think anyone would own up to the second one. It is sort of like the embarrassing  relation that no one speaks about.

Sex and the City is one of this amazing shows. I remember when I first heard about the show. It was before it was even made. You see I have always been a bit of a tv show junkie and as well as having favourite shows I had favourite producers (like I have favourite magazine editors and favourite directors- media nerd which is way cooler than a normal nerd. In my mind anyway.)

Anyway I digress- Darren Star (amazing name- why is it never Darren Jones.) He had already created two of the MOST AMAZING TELEVISION SHOWS EVER- Beverly Hills 90210-( the original one, not the remake that was all pc and had the adopted african american dude. The only racial variation in the 80's was the Jewish Aundrea Zuckerman, but don't worry she didn't live in Beverly Hills) and Melrose Place. They were a revolution in television. There used to be Melrose Place parties at the pubs on Tuesday nights. You never went out on a Tuesday. Ever.

Mmmmm guess who got cast because their dad owned the production company hey Tori Spelling???


OMG is that SAMANTHA standing next to Bree from Desperate Housewives???
So Beverly Hills finished, we graduated tup Melrose Place and then the worst thing happened. He was leaving to create this dumb show about four friends looking for love in New York. And this was before New York was really all that cool. And it was going to star the weird looking girl with curly hair that was in " Girls Just Want to Have Fun"


The first few episodes were dodgy ( what was with that talking to the camera thing she did), but slowly it gained momentum until it was THE show.

A few things stood put but nothing like the clothes. Aww the clothes. The shoes, the handbags. It was a sea of fantasy awesomeness. Carries wardrobe was everywomen's fantasy. If you didn't like Carrie's you could like Samanthas, Charlottes or Miranda's. They were sort of like One Direction- there was a stereotypical women to fit every single women out there. There was one we could all relate too - although secretly we all wanted to be Carrie and no one wanted to be Miranda. 

Patricia Field was the creator of all that magic, so when I read that they were bringing her and some of the best costumes to Perth, I rang my girlfriend and we had to go.Click here to read about the costume display at Enex100

Luckily we had two weeks to decide what to wear - I went with the classic Wheels and Doll baby dress with black patent heels and Claire went with black lace with tights and ankle boots. We were looking the goods, I was excited and hungry. (yep still on the diet thing).



We strutted through Crown like the four girls heading to a fashionable club heading for Nobu and came across the biggest collection of women ever. It seems they all had spend two weeks planning their outfit as well. The photographers were there from the newspaper, there was a stop and repeat (that piece of paper that they put up for you to stand in front to have your photo taken). It was like we however where invisible . They didn't want our photo, so we walked in grabbed our table and sat down.

The Positives- (yes in list form)

1. The drinks were awesome. We had a welcome Cosmo (cliche but fab) and we ordered the best Rose and it was only $11 a glass.

2. The food was amazingly yummy japanese bits of awesomeness. Click here to check out their web page

3. Patricia Field was fab-u-lous. She is this tiny 70 year old eccentric women, dressed in silk (it was very creased) and sandals. She had this amazingly husky smokers voice and I am guessing she had had a few too many Cosmos. She has inspired me that that is how I want to be when I am 70.

Please God let me be this fab at 70. But maybe without the red hair. It clashes with my complexion.

4. There was some seriously awesome dresses going on in that room. Like seriously awesome. Spanx was also worn well ( they know you tuck your fat into the top of your Spanx so their is no muffin top). It was such a good place to women watch.

The Negatives

1. The host asked dumb questions. "What do you think of how Perth women dress?" Ummm as if she is going to say anything but great. ( In case you are wondering she said we dress very similar to Americans.)

2. The society women were down right rude. They talked all the way through her talk. Took selfies and walked (sorry staggered) past her and she was talking on their way to the loo. Not that I have anything wrong we having a good stagger to the loo after a few good bevies. But ladies- at least wait until the talent has gone.

3. I didn't get to ask her any of our fab questions. The girl who was a toddler when these shows were on the tele, who was taking selflies during the talk asked a dumb question. Lucky Patricia was sloshed so she just thought it was fab.

4. There was some seriously bad curl action going on. Curls are fashionable but it seems the ladies are not quite sure what to do after the magic has been created by the wand. For the record, either shake out the curls, brush them through carefully, or run your hands through them to soften them up a but. Don't leave them. You look like a nanna in a bad way.

After the dinner we went to do a bit of gambling. Claire and I normally win. But we lost and I cut my toe on a chair. I am thinking of suing Jamie Packer for that one. And we got bullied by a manic gambler who pushed us out from the table.

For the record here are my favourite SATC dress

The tutu skirt. God I would love a tutu skirt.

This amazing number. Patricia wanted it to look like Carrie had fallen asleep in a cloud.

Of course I was Carrie- with maybe a touch of Charlotte thrown in.



No comments:

Post a Comment