Friday 22 January 2016

Emma's Handy Packing Hints- Second Edition.

My bags are packed I'm ready to go

Does packing ever get easier? I am lucky enough that I travel quite a bit, and I am making my (almost) annual trip to Sydney to visit some very good friends. I know I have blogged before about how I pack, but I think I am slowly getting better at it. Here are some little hints from me.

1. Don't even think you can only take hand luggage. Unless you are going for a weekend trip to Bali where you only need a bikini and a maxi dress you need at least 20kgs. Hell my makeup and skin care weighs 7kgs on it own. 

2. Start thinking about what you will need to take before you start to pack. Now I know that when you are on holidays you always seem to wear the same thing every day but you do want to have choices. I know this holiday I will need exercise gear, going out at night clothes, going out at day clothes, casual clothes and bumming around the house clothes.  You also need to take shoes into consideration. As I can only wear flats at the moment I only need to take my runners (for walking because I can't run for another 7 months), sandals, slides and thongs ( thats flip flops to anyone reading this that is not Australian). Hang your "plane outfit" up while you are packing so you can see the extra outfit you have.

3. Separate your clothes into zip lock bags. This is genius. I have a bag of shorts, active wear, singlets, t-shirts and knickers. When you zip lock the bag make sure you roll them so you get the air out and then it is like a vacuumed seal bag so it takes up less space. Plus when you get to the destination you can find what you need easily.

                                
Ikea Zip lock bags are my bags of choice. They are strong and reusable and come in 6 different sizes.

4. Skin care- This bag is usually the heaviest so try and buy travel sizes or buy travel bottles and de canter in your stuff. I also put moisturiser into empty contact lens cases. I also take wipes so I don't need to worry about cleanser or eye make up remover while I am away ( don't worry you can do a super skin clean when you get home from you vacay). These wipes are also fab for spot cleaning your clothes. Also if there is one product that will leak in your luggage it will be your hair serum so pop that in a small zip lock bag. Also Sephora do perfume in travel bottles which are really handy so you don't have to take a big bottle.

6. Wash your hair and do it really well the day you go. That way it should last for most of the holiday and apart from a few touch ups with your straightener you should get away with out having to wash. Dry shampoo is a must for about day 3. And if you have long hair, do forget hair elastics! They and bobby pins seem to hook up and go away on a holiday of there own.

5. Make up- This one was hard, like really hard. To be honest the only thing I scrimpted on was my eyeshadows and I only packed one eye shadow palette -my Too Faced Chocolate Palette. I made sure I took lipsticks in a nude shade, a red shade and a pinky nude to cover all occasions. I took my day foundation and my night foundation as well as my tinted SPF moisturiser, my conturing kit, blush, highlighter....... you get the message.
By packing a palette you have lots of different colours and can use the lighter shades as highlighters.
                                        
6. Pack your all chargers in a zip lock bag, that way they are easy to find when you get to your destination because your phone and ipad will be flat.

On the plane

1. Take a big tote bag. I take my Louis Vuitton Never Full. This bag has travelled around the world with me because it is "never full" apparently they can take over 50kg in weight. It holds EVERTHING I need including a laptop. Although to be honest I hardly ever take it because unless I get the inclination to do work (which never happens) I can get away with my iphone and ipad.

2. Essentials are a pen. As a teacher I always have at least 5 on me at anyone time, but you will always need a pen. Essentials also include lip balm, tissues, Vicks Nasal Sniffy thing, Nurofen and any medication you need to take. I also take my Bachs Rescue Remedy in case I get anxious. I also take a notebook incase I get inspired.
Rescue Remedy- I never go anywhere without this stuff.

3. Take your phone, ipad and headphones. Especially if you are being tight and going on a budget airline. You will get bored and there is only so much people watching and getting up and going to the toilet you can do.

4. Make up bag- This goes with out saying, but you will need at least some lippie to put on your "landing lips" and some concealer. Don't forget hair lackkies. Your hair will annoy the hell out of you.

5. Your glasses. I never wear my contacts on a plane and when you are flying you don't need to see that well so my glasses it is.

6. A great big mother of a bottle of water. And a little snack. And some mints. No one wants to breathe bad breath on anyone.

7. Wear slip on shoes because you never I repeat NEVER want to go to a plane toilet with no shoes on. Unless you want to rinse your feet in a strangers wee. Pack a pair of socks and a warm cardigan that can double as a blankie because planes get cold.

8. Finally as much as it is a bit of a pain in the arse to carry a proper pillow is really handy. I took my pillow on the flight to New York ( 17 hours of pain) and it helped to get a bit comfy. 

9. Sleeping (or relaxants) tablets if they work for you. I am about to do a red eye flight and I never sleep on a plane. I'm going to try half a sleeping pill. I will let you know how it goes. Be warned though- they can have the reverse effect unless you get the dosage right. You have been warned.

Now all I need if for Sydney to get it's weather under control and I'm good to go! Happy holidaying.

No comments:

Post a Comment