Sunday 16 February 2014

Is expensive always better?

Emma from East Victoria Park asks - " Are expensive make up and skin care products always better". Good question Emma. Yes alright, it is me asking this question because I am a little bit torn right now.

I was always of the belief that cheaper "drug store" products were ok and did a great job. But in the last few months somehow I have gone from picking up bits and pieces at the supermarket to becoming a little bit more exclusive with my purchases.

My collection has always been a mix between cut price and bloody expensive, but I am starting to notice a definite shift towards the more higher end of the market. Shall we start with skin care. I have moved away from my L'oreal 
Image via L'oreal website

to become almost exclusive with SK II which is ridiculously expensive, but my skin is looking just so nice!! My complexion is clearer, my pigment is fading and it is so freaking soft I would give a 20 year old a run for their money.  I am however contemplating maybe doing away with the cleanser and switching to something a little more affordable. But only in the cleanser.

Image via SK-II website

Make up wise I today went to my holy mecca of makeup (MECCA ) and bought a mascara for $22.
bare Minerals Lash Domnation It is beautiful, it has an amazing brush, it lengthens, it adds volume and the black is so amazingly black. 
Image via Meccacosmetica
I feel like I am cheating on my beloved Covergirl-Lash Blast even though there is only about $7 difference in price,  I feel like I have moved over to the dark side.
Image vis Covergirl website

I adore my Models Choice eye brightener, but my mum who has become addicted to MECCA as well, let me try her eye highlighter product. It is AMAZING, and is priced accordingly. And then there is foundation. I tried a sample of YSL's Youth Liberator Serum Foundation, and I loved it so much I have't used a foundation since my baby sample ran out.

                                            Image via YSL website

I guess I can only say this. Yes expensive make up products do feel better, and the pigments are better, and they last longer, but there is also a place for the cheaper end of the market. If you can afford it- why not. If you can't "drug store" brands will do they job just nicely.

Yes, I think that was the answer I was looking for to make me feel better about the ridiculous amount of money I am spending on my face at the moment.

Remember if it is in purple- it is a link to the web site, so you can do some online shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment