Tuesday 25 February 2014

My serious first world problem

Every single day of my life there is one thing that I do. I put on mascara. Even if I am hanging around the house I put on mascara. When I go for a run at 5 in the morning , I put on mascara. When I run marathons, I put on mascara, when I ... well you get the picture.

I have currently 5 tubes of mascara on the go. As far as I am concerned they all do a different job. I found my holy grail of mascara. And then the unthinkable happened on Saturday.

I got and infected eye. Yep a full on eye infection, red, itchy and bloody freakin sore. At first I thought it was an allergy, or I had cat fur in my eye. So I put my contact lenses in and used my beautiful mascara thinking it would eventually fix it self. 

I went out for drinks on Saturday and it hurt to look in the sun, I went out for dinner and didn't enjoy my mexican. I know, I know...inconceivable.

By Sunday morning I had no choice but to go to the Doctor and pay $90 to be told I had a virus, I couldn't wear my contact lens, or wear my mascara. On the upside I wasn't allowed to go to work yesterday. YAYAY.

Today I had to face my biggest fear. I had to 1. wear my glasses and 2. Not wear any mascara. I seriously considered calling in sick. Honestly. I wanted to wear my sunglasses all day. 

I felt naked, and well naked.

My game plan was to tell people before they noticed. I got told I look younger (yeah right) I got told I looked weird (by a student - they are full of tact) I also got told that people are starving in Africa (get off your high horse teenager with a social conscious, you wouldn't be so pious if I confiscated your phone would you? ).

I am aware that people are starving, I have a World Vision child in Ethiopia. His name is Ammanuel and his favourite game is playing "stick" ( you would think my $600 a year would at least buy him a ball) and for the record I also get starving especially after a run. I call it being "rungry" Get it run- hungry???. But I live in a first world, and this is a serious first world issue for me. I am mascara dependent. Oh and vain.

I am without contacts or mascara until Thursday. I will be the one in the dark glasses. At night.


No comments:

Post a Comment