Wednesday 23 July 2014

Please don't let this be true, do I really have all the clothes I want and need?

Zara- once we were best friends.


A few weeks ago I paid a visit to my spiritual home- Zara. I was so excited because a trip to Zara for me always means some new good basic clothes, that are affordable and look good. I had cleared some room on my credit card, ensured there was some space in my daughters suitcase (If there is one thing I have learnt in my 43 years packing light is a skill I really don't possess). I was ready. 

I have a routine at Zara. I call it shopping properly. Shopping is after all an art form. Step one is to walk through the whole shop. Each section, slowly , looking around picking up nothing. While you are looking around you take in the clothes and mentally take note of what you have, what you need, what you need to replace and what you just "have to have or you will die."

The next step is to go back and go through section by section. At this stage you can pick things up an pop them under your arm. Depending on the time of your visit you really want to avoid the change rooms - peak hour (lunchtime, and weekends) the line for a change room can be massive, and no one has time for that when you are on a shopping deadline. 

Final step is to head for the till, grab a few black and nude camisole tops on the way and you are done.

Well my last visit saw me do my first step and find NOTHING. Second step STILL NOTHING. Third step was not required. I was gutted. A failure. I had let myself down. Hell Zara had let me down. I felt like I had been stood up and kicked to the curb . ( For the record I went back the next day to check I wasn't guilty of just a bad shopping day - as if- and bought an umbrella, only because it was raining and I couldn't find one anywhere else).

Last week I received an email from another shop I go to saying I had a $100 reward voucher to spend. I went into the shop and the same thing. I found NOTHING. I was in a real bind because it had to be spent. By THAT DAY, and by not spending it would be like throwing away money. I finally bought myself a pair of winter weight black slouch pants. To accompany the pair of summer weight black slouch pants.


I am officially have silver status. I received a $100 voucher. This pales into insignificance compared to how much I have spent to become so special.


Then an horrific thought popped into my head. Is it possible I have everything I already need????? I received an email from a clothes store telling me or the things I needed in my wardrobe RIGHT now. I got a bit excited because I thought it would give me something new to buy. And then I realised I already owned EVERYTHING. ON.THE. LIST.

Skinny jean- check (in black and blue)
These are the skinny jean I am loving this winter. They are from Sportsgirl and they call the jeggings, Don't let the name put you off. They are super comfy and look good.

Striped tube skirt - check
This one is from Sportsgirl. I got mine 3 years ago.

Striped top - check (in long sleeve, short sleeve, blue and black)
Black sunnies - check (4 pairs)
To you they may look the same- to me they are all very different

Jacket -check
Scarf- check ( about 10)
Boots - check ( low heel, high heel, short, long, black, brown)
Birkenstocks- check
Ballet Flats- check
High Peeptoe mules -check
Chambrey shirt - check 
Chambrey dress shirt- check
This one of from Sportsgirl- I got mine at H&M

Boyfriend jean- check
A chunky knit jumper - check
White, black grey tshirt- check (in all different textures, sleeve lengths)
Embellished tshirt - check
Who doesn't like some sparkle?

Ethnic dress- check
Sneaker- check

My new trainers. One of my students today told me they were dope. I am assuming this is a good thing.

Drape pant- check (in two different weights)
Witchery drape pant- and birkies (see I told you this ugly shoe thing was going to be HUGE)
Patterned pant - check
Pastel pleat skirt with black trim - check
Black faux leather shorts- check
Black dress short -check
Dress short from Sportsgirl. Witchery have some good ones as well

Puffer jacket- check
This is mine from Kathmandu. They are currently on sale for $149. They are the absolute bomb, so warm, so comfy and because they are "slim" they don't make you look like a Michelin man

Long line cardigan- check (in summer weight black, winter weight black and striped).
Sportsgirl again. Mine is white and black, not black and white.


Alright maybe I exaggerated a little. There were two things on the list I didn't have.
Spotted jumper because I don't like spots and High waisted jeans. Because high waisted jeans were left in the 90's for a very, very good reason.
This is a spotted jumper (from Sussan)

This is a high waisted jean which looks ok because this woman is a model and young. They will not look this way on anyone over 20. Or  60kgs.

So where too from here? I guess all I can do is wait for summer. Because 5 black maxi dresses are NEVER enough.

Please feel free to use this list as what you need to buy to get you through to Summer.




No comments:

Post a Comment