Sunday 27 July 2014

This months diet is.......



Sooo you all know how I am trying to always lose that elusive 7kg that I have managed to find in the last 12months? Well I thought you might like to know that I have started ANOTHER attempt to ditch that final 5kgs of flubber. In my defensive and hoping so I don't come across as someone with a raging eating disorder and body image issues I am also running a marathon in two months. My training has fallen into a hole due to a never ending cold, and a week in the snow, so I want to ditch the weight to try and make the run a little bit easier. (Seriously climb the stairs holding 5kgs and see how much harder it is. Imagine running 42.2km with that.)

So, so far this year I have gone back to Weight Watchers ( I was thinking about food the whole time). I did lose some weight though, 2kgs which has stayed off. Weight Watchers does work, but it feels too hard at the moment.

Next was the 5:2 diet, which was ok. The two fasting days were hard, but I could do it. I also liked that I could still go out for dinner on my 5 days. The only problem was that I didn't put on any weight, but I didn't lose it either. I also wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that I couldn't shake the cold that plagued me since April. I also found myself craving cakes. White cakes with buttercream frosting to be precise.

Next was 5 days of snowboarding. By far this would have been the BEST diet EVER because the combination of being completely and utterly exhausted, using every single muscle in my body and adding in the fact that I was completely terrified and freezing meant that I lost weight as well as eating more in my life time than ever before.


So what is next? Well I was deciding between going back to Weight Watchers, dropping carbs out of my diet, and getting fat, and then it clicked. I love plane food. I love the fact that you get a cute little tray with your food on it and you don't have to give it a thought. It is kind of exciting when you take the lid off and see what little surprise is underneath. I am also sick to death if thinking about, planning, and counting calories.

So as I figured I had two choices. Jenny Craig or Lite'n Easy. Jenny Craig meant I had to go in to a centre and talk to someone, and Lite'n'Easy meant I could order online and talk to no one. Jenny Craig had also got a really bad write up in The Women's Weekly ( there goes that advertising deal). So Lite'n'Easy it was. Even though the advertise with those annoying women from The Block.



It actually was easy. I got online, I worked out what meal plan I needed (1500 calories a day), chose what I wanted (I'm not going to lie, that bit was fun.) and then wait until Thursday for it to arrive. Which was a downer because I like to start a diet on a Monday. So Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and snacks for 7 days were ordered $153. I can deal with that.



I ate carefully from Monday to Thursday and on Thursday afternoon I arrived home to the great esky of surprise. I unpacked all my meals, made room in the freezer and fridge, impressed Indi with my science experiment of what happens when you put dry ice in a glass of water. Actually if I am being honest I impressed my 17 and 19 year old as well.

So I am into day 3 and I am doing ok. Hungry but ok. When the say Lite they mean lite.  It has been an eye opener about how big my normal portion sizes are, so that is taking a bit of getting used to. I also find it weird to go to the grocery shop and not get anything for me. I have found that I can't watch cooking shows either. It makes me hungry.

I had to do some swapping around because my mornings are really rushed and I don't have time to cook eggs. This also meant that I had to be careful what I swapped the days with because some of the food has used by dates, and the food does need to be eaten in some kind of order. 

The breakfasts are way more than I would normally ever eat, but the lunches, and dinners and snacks are way smaller than I would normally eat. But the variety is good. The dinners are ok, because I don't have a problem with frozen meals, but they need some more vegetables (you can add some) and I can see that in time they will get a little boring. It is "real" food albeit not much of it.


They recommend doing 40 minutes of exercise a day, which is fine for me because I average 45km running a week and 2x7km walks, and lots of water, which is also no problem because you need to drink something to make you feel full.

The downer I can see is that it is not as flexible as Weight Watcher or 5:2. At least with those two you can negotiate around your food choices if you are going out for dinner. I have dinner tonight at Mexican and as much as I want to ditch the 5kgs, I can never say not to Frozen Mojitos and Chili Con Queso dip. I am hoping that my16km run yesterday will help to balance it out a bit.

I am hoping that my hunger will start to settle down in the next few days, because I am finding it really hard to go to sleep hungry. I will keep you posted on Thursday to see what the weeks result has been!

Here is a link to the Lite"N"Easy Website as well as Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig if you would like to do some looking.

images via Pinterest

I am also working on my post- What I have learnt in my 30 years of being on a diet. I feel if anyone is qualified to write that post it is me!

No comments:

Post a Comment