Sunday 2 November 2014

Riding Trains at 2am.



This was before our big adventure!
Wouldn't that be an awesome name for a book? Anyway last night I found myself riding the train at 2am on the Armadale Line. Which is sort of like the line to the Bronx. Apparently half the crime in Perth happens on the Armadale Line. But give me a few wines and I am very brave. Well the wines, some very sore feet and not being able to catch a bloody taxi. Here is a tip- if you are questioning whether or not to wear a pair of shoes because they will hurt- don't wear them. Otherwise you will find yourself walking barefoot through the City at 1am.

So after not being able to catch a cab, my girlfriend and I decided we had no choice but to jump on a train. We weren't very good at it and couldn't even work out how to buy a ticket (maybe read "Credit cards not working" before you spend 5 mins shoving your card in and out of the machine). Once tickets were purchased we had an argument about what train to catch. Our saviour came in the form a gorgeous young girl who could obviously tell we had no bloody idea what to do.

"Hey Ladies (we turn to look for the old dears she was talking too, but realised she was talking to us) you have to take the Armadale line because the Thornlie line is finished for the night- but don't worry I will show you what to do."

And that she did. She also told me what school she went to, that the Transit Guard asked her if she thought we were drunk (she told him "Nah- they are too old to get drunk"), that she played netball, that she went to school everyday, that she was 13. Yes you read that correctly, and that she had 8 brothers and sisters and that two of the were in jail. She also helped a very drunk guy into a seat and told the transit guard that he may have needed some help.

Our new friend told us when it was time to get off the train- and minutes before the stop the drunk guy vomited all over the floor. At this stage everyone on the carriage was fabulous friends, and we all groaned together when the smell started to permeate through the carriage. ( I don't know what he ate for dinner- but lets just say there has not been any carrots in his diet for a while.)

We got to our station- said goodbye to our new friends and I think she may have told me that it wasn't very classy to be walking the street at 2am with no shoes. I told her that that was easy to say when she was wearing trainers and I was wearing heels. I also told her to keep going to school and that she was a good girl. But she should be home in bed.

As my friend and I walked along the platform and we hear a ruckus. It was the drunk vomit guy. Stumbling all over the platform, staggering towards to tracks. We ran and grabbed him. Carefully without trying to catch him because he was covered in vomit. He then stumbled, we dragged him - as well as two women in their 40's who have consumed two many vodkas and not enough food. (Because we went tapas. Well to a tapas and pizza restaurant. THAT HAD RUN OUT OF PIZZA, but don't start me on share food). We sat our drunk friend down while the guy who was on the platform as well watched us struggle with him said- " Oh well- I'm off." Yeah you go and leave two women alone with a paralytic boy in the middle of the night.

We then got our drunk friends phone and asked him who we could call. He said no one because no one cared. Awww the ramblings of a drunk person. He then got up, staggered,fell and banged his head on the ground. Thank god he was drunk, because that would have really hurt. We ran through his last messages (nothing juicy unfortunately), rang the last  person he had messaged who said they had been looking for him, and then she asked us if we could walk him home. UMMMMM how about a NO to that? She then said she would try and call someone to come and get him. Well his brother came and got him after 20 minutes. Yep me and my friend spent 20 minutes on a train platform at 2am on one of the most dangerous train stations in Perth. With an 18 year old boy who was paralytically drunk, covered in vomit who kept trying to run- well stagger away and who kept telling us that he had done a really stupid thing. (Don't worry I did reassure him that I had done many a stupid thing and I was still kicking on.)

His brother finally arrived and grabbed him, and almost as an after thought turned around and said " Oh yeah- Thanks. Do you need a lift home."
We both laughed- "with that much vomit?" There was no blisters big enough to make me even contemplate that.

Good Samaritan deed done, we walked the streets to our houses me in bare feet, Nic complaining about her sore feet, contemplating our night. And also doing some clogging. If you don't know what clogging is it is a form of dancing they do in Georgia in Southern America.

                   You will thank me after watching this.


I messaged Nic this morning and asked her how she thought our new friend was. I hope who ever he is that he is ok, and that someone will have bought him some Macca's and nurofen.

No comments:

Post a Comment