Wednesday 21 January 2015

The day I went and had a facial.

I am a bit low maintenance. Seriously I am.  Well in some things. My husband would probably beg to differ on that though. I do tend to do all my beauty treatments in house, except for my hair, because lets face it, if you are going to be blonde you need to leave that in the hands of a professional. Oh and Botox. If you are having Botox, or fillers that should also be left in the hands of a professional. Otherwise you could end up looking like one of the Housewives of anywhere.

Or one of these fine people

One thing I hardly ever do is have facials. In fact in the last 11 years I have had two facials. I know it is two because I had one before I got married and the lady doing the treatment fainted mid treatment. Now let me tell you there is nothing more unrelaxing than your therapist fainting as she is applying some scrubby thing to your face. (Well maybe if you were going to actual therapy and your therapist fainted mid consultation that would be bad) .There I was lying in a towel calling out " We need some help in here." And I didn't even get a discount. It took me a good 5 years to get over "facialgate" so I finally went again, and the girl told me that "even though I looked alright for my age, I could really do with some Botox." No amount of trickling water music could relax me after that. Not even with tweeting birds. Or a flowing river.

So last week I looked in the mirror and all I saw was old looking back at me. I had what I like to call "post Bali face". You know when your face has got some sun even though you are wearing sunblock and a hat. It looks blotchy and really like the whole top layer of skin really needs to come off, and then a bucket of oil poured in to fill the gaps?

An example of post Bali, post holiday face.

Making a decision where to go is like trying to decide on where to go for coffee. You want to be able to get in when you want too, but you don't want it to be too easy either because obviously that would mean it was crap. I decided to go to a relatively new salon down the road from me. I checked out their Facebook page and it looked ok, so I downloaded their "menu". I decided on a facial which involved dermabrasion, a glyconic peel and a oxygen infusion. Nope I had no idea what an oxygen infusion was either, but I was excited.

The salon looked really clean, smelt relaxing without being too patchouli and had nice music playing. The girl told me what to do- that means what items of clothing to leave on and what to take off,which is always helpful. There is something quite vulnerable about lying in a room, half naked with an eye mask over your eyes so it is good to know just how dressed to be. Lying half naked in a shop is one of the places that my mind goes into "what would happen in someone came in and robbed me right now" The other place is public toilets, because you could literally be caught with your pants down. 

It was bliss, my skin was cleaned, peeled, dermabraised  ( think sandpaper being applied to your face and vacuumed all at the same time.) The oxygen mask was oxygen blown on my face. You could have add ons. And when someone tells you that the add on will fill in your wrinkles there is no other answer than a yes. I didn't even care when she couldn't remember if it was an extra $35 or $65. When someone says "fills in your wrinkles" you say yes. I don't care how much those wrinkles tell a story. 

After 90 minutes I left feeling amazing. No one fainted, no one was told they needed Botox, no one was asked what products they used at home, and no one was told they needed to buy their products.  God I hate that when they try to sell you stuff. Years of going to hair dressers has taught me that you always tell them that you use the products that they sell. Clever huh?

Will I go back? You bet your sweet life I will. Anything that can peel off some years AND fill in my wrinkles is good.
I went from this

To this!


My 90 minute treatment cost me $99 instead of $150 because I was new. I am going to admit that I do think that is a bit expensive, but I think it was worth it. You can buy the facial I had in packages which makes it cheaper. And lets face it that it not even the cost of a really good night out!




No comments:

Post a Comment