Wednesday 21 May 2014

Need a new mascara?

Sometimes there is a really positive upside to having kids and today is one of them. My youngest is sick and she needed someone to stay home and look after her. After a quick game of rock, paper, scissors (the winner gets to stay home- I won) I have spent the morning in bed bonding with the 8 year old, the dog and the cats.  The only downside I can see is that we are watching Diary of a Wimpy Kid- why are kids movies so annoying these days, couldn't it at least be Despicable Me?

Last week I was asked for some mascara recommendations so here goes. The request also asked for a good waterproof one, but I think if you get a good mascara it won't run off or fade. I find that waterproof ones are so hard to get off, build up over time and go clumpy.

I have to say I had a bit of realisation the other day, which I wasn't very happy with. Expensive stuff really is better. Magazine editors can bang on all they want about Maybelline Great Lash selling a million tubes a second, but compare it with a more pricey one and their is just no comparison.
Great Lash only cost $7 a tube. So buy it and try.

 I will give it that it is a great dark inky black, but thats all I give it. Oh I do like the container. This is not to say that there is no room for cheap mascaras in your makeup kit, but for a good night out- I suggest a little more high end. 

My favourite everyday mascaras (at the moment, favourites are always subject to change) are
Covergirl Lashblast
Awesome colour, great volume and doesn't clump. It is cheap $17.95 but you can often get it on sale at the supermarket or Priceline. I have also tried the waterproof one and it is also pretty good. If I need a waterproof because I am going on a sun holiday or a snow holiday I will grab one of these.

My other "daytime" mascara is Lancome Hypnose Star.
 I came upon this by accident because I won it in a competition. I have always heard how good Lancome mascaras are, and I wasn't disappointed with this. It goes on like a dream, has a good colour and doesn't clump. Lancome are well known for their mascaras and their Definicils High Definition sells one tune every three seconds.

                  You can get that for $39 on Strawberry Net.

Here is a photo of my eyes ( I have no other makeup on because I am still in my pyjamas) I have written underneath which side is wearing which mascara.

                                          Lancome                       vs                    Covergirl


My current "Glam" mascaras are Covergirl Flamed Out Mascara
This is only $14.95 (yes practically free) and I like it because it  gives a dramatic look with no clumping or flaking.

My other glam is my bareMinerals LashDomination Volumising Mascara.

It is available at Mecca and only costs $22.95. I love the way it makes my lashes look, but it can be a little bit harder to apply so I make sure I wipe the brush before I put it on.

                                           Covergirl                vs                bareMinerals

Other notable mentions include

Diorshow mascara

Benefit They're Real (my girlfriend swears by this one)
I am also a fan of Cliniques mascaras. They do the job ( as I find all Cliniques products do). I also like their waterproof mascaras



Some important application tips.

  • don't pump the wand- this just adds air and makes it go thick
  • wipe off excess before you apply it - just wipe it on the rim
  • apply it on your lashes in a seesaw motion, kind of like windscreen wipers
  • use the tip of the wand to do the little lashes in the inner and outer corners
  • hold the wand on your lashes for a few seconds to help obtain a curl- I don't use an eyelash curlers- whose got time for that?
  • apply two to three coats
  • tidy up with some eye makeup remover if you get some smudges
  • applying to the lower lashes is up to you. I do it for a night out, but find it is a bit much for daytime.
Happy Mascara-ring

Em
x

No comments:

Post a Comment