Wednesday 7 May 2014

So did you hear the one about when I decided to go to Bali for the weekend?

 I have done a bit of self reflection lately and I have decided I have a severe case of FOMO, or Fear of missing out. So when I sat down and thought about some of my fellow bookclubbers being in Bali without me, I went into a bit of a melt down for a couple of reasons.

1. I love Bali
2. I love my book club friends
3. I love Bali
4. I love Bintangs
and
5. I love Bali.

When the trip was first planned it was a family trip- to celebrate a clubbers 40th birthday, I was very sensible and firm and decided that we couldn't go.

Then I found out that two friends were going as singles. I felt a little bit of FOMO creeping in, but I sucked it up.

Then when we had dinner, and they were all talking about it, it was like my other twin took over. ( I am a Gemini. There is the sensible Emma who doesn't appear very often, and the irresponsible Emma, who appears quite often.) I really wanted to go. So there I was at the table googling away to find the cheapest fare.

I then hit sensible again and decided not to go  see this is the big issue with being a Gemini - you are constantly arguing with the voices in your head (voices in your head are normal...right?) and then the next day I got to work. After 15 minutes I thought stuff it. It was straight onto Wotflight to find the cheapest flight. Jetstar had gone down by $200 OVERNIGHT!! It was meant to be. I found the accommodation. $100 a night. WITH BREAKFAST!! Thats almost free! Whats a girl to do? (don't say be sensible and pop the money in a savings account to pay for your skiing trip. At least I thought it.)

                  My glass of Pink. Feeling very worldly

So I found myself passport in hand, at the airport sipping a glass of sparkling (it was Pink- thats all they had) 4 days later.  I left work at 3:00, and jumped on that plane at 5:50. By 11 I was sitting in a bar having the very first of many Mojitos.



The trip was not with out it's challenges. First- I was only allowed 10kg of luggage. I did the whole carryon thing. Well let me tell you- I have never been more proud of myself- my luggage weighted 5KGS!!! Yep you read that right. Although none anyone at any stage weighed my luggage, but it was only 5kgs.


Well actually that was the only challenge. The weekend was super awesome with some amazingly super awesome friends. I can strongly recommend a weekend away which ended up costing me less than a weekend down south would cost.

We had breakfast, which was included in my room rate, and by that stage all my stresses of that first week back at work were gone.

Work? What work?

We went shopping, I had a massage, we had drinks and dinner at sunset

Two of my gorge bookclubbers

We went to a drag show, where they served drinks made with lolly infused vodka 

This is Rach and a drag queen.

Then we drank bintang and danced some pretty fab dance moves at the Sky bar club whatever it's called.


Because it was Bali, there was no time for a hangover, so the next day we had breaky, followed by a massage, and then off to this amazing place for lunch.  I wish I could remember the name because you must go. We drank Sangira, 

This is Sangria bianco

 ate tapas and swam in the pool. It was amazing. Super amazing. Super, super amazing

Not a care in the world.
 How many shades of blue are possible in a photo?

Then it was time to go home. I wasn't sad, just felt incredibly lucky to be able to spend a couple of days with some amazing friends celebrating two birthdays. 

To top off the amazing weekend I even got a whole row to myself on the way home, AND it took me all of 5 minutes to get off the plane and through customs.

Then I went home, had two hours sleep and had to get up and go to work. For every up, there must be a down.

No comments:

Post a Comment