Friday 22 April 2016

I survived my first gym class. I just can't move.


I exercise so I can eat carrot cake.

For those of you who have not been around to hear my whinging for the last 6 months- you may not be aware that I am suffering from injuries. My stress fractured leg is still fractured (which means no running or "non essential" walking for at least another 2 months- and yes I have been taking advantage of the non essential bit).

My stress fractured leg has also resulted in a compressed spine and tennis elbow from using the crutches. As a result my exercising regime has been limited. Luckily for me it has not altered my ability to put on weight- as the 15 kgs I have stacked on since November has proved.

I really like to exercise. I am also very vain so the last 5 months have been hard. I did buy an exercise bike which I use occasionally (when It is not being used as a clothes line with pedals) but I reached the stage where I have had to reassess what I do. I love running. I love being outside in the morning, seeing the sun come up, and be finished by 7am. I love how it makes me feel and my thighs look. But this is out of reach for me for the next few months because I know that my leg will be fixed by July. If it is not I have to have an operation which means I will never run again. So I am joining the gym. I have spent countless hours at the physio learning how to walk properly  (who knew I walked wrong- all this time I thought people were just making fun of me when they said I walked like a truck driver) and the doctor has jabbed a great big steroid into my elbow so I can use my arm again and I am officially good to go.

I have just paid up for my $7 for 7 days trial at the gym. I have also just done my first bodybalance class in about 5 years. To which I went out a celebrated with a piece of carrot cake. It was 11:50 when I finished so too early for a wine- but don't worry- my friend and I thought about it. Bodybalance is a version of Yoga to music for people who have too much of a short attention span for Yoga. Suits me perfectly.

I survived but I am really sore. My arms feel like jelly. My friend and I spent half the class laughing at ourselves as we tried to contort our bodies into freaky positions. But I got to the end of the class. I feel tired  great! So my week looks like a combo of spin classes, swimming (because tennis elbow is now resolved but there is still the hair issue to deal with) and body balance. I am hoping that this combined with my weight loss program ( I will fill you in on that later- it is a work in progress but I think I am getting there)I will be feeling like myself again soon. It sounds weird but I have felt lost without my exercise that I have used for so many years to keep me relatively sane.

Now I am just going to attempt to get up and wash my hair. Just not quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment