Thursday 28 April 2016

New Improved BBQ Shapes. We are living a very real crisis.


LIARS!!!!!!

There is a serious first world problem going on in Australia at the moment. And I am outraged. Yep a strong word but totally sums up how I feel. You can file it in the " If it aint broke don't fix it category." Yep I'm talking about Arnotts and Shapes. In particular BBQ Shapes.

BBQ Shapes have been in my life for as long as I can remember. When I would get home from school it was always BBQ shapes that were waiting for me. I remember when I lived in Queensland my friends mum would keep theirs in the oven to ensure that they didn't go soft. (It was humid). I remember fighting over the final shapes in the box with my brother so you could lick you finger and then collect all the little flavour flakes from the bottom of the box. 

Every occasion called for a box of shapes. Whether it was having friends over, or just eating a box all on your own. I always knew that a box of BBQ Shapes would be a winner. I even had a system of eating them. After I had eaten about 5 quickly (to satisfy the craving)I would savour the rest by licking of the flavour first before biting into the rest of the shape.

Every shopping trip would call for at least 2 boxes of BBQ Shapes to be thrown into the trolley. Our house was never without a box. When friends would call over unplanned I always had a box of BBQ Shapes in the house. And they always went down a treat. There were other flavours. I would occasionally buy the odd box of Pizza Shapes. Sometimes cheddar. But they were no match for my beloved BBQ. When I would return home from an overseas holiday the first thing I would do is grab a packet out of the pantry and get my fix.

When I heard they were " improving " them, I was a little confused. How can you improve on perfection? Well the answer to that was made pretty clear to me on Saturday night.

YOU CANT. 

The new shapes taste awful, worse than awful. I don't even know what the word for worse than awful is. Oh hang on- yes I do- THE NEW AND IMPROVED BBQ SHAPES.

I was so upset that I messaged Arnotts to complain. They replied and told me I could still buy the Originals. Well Mr Arnotts- I'm not sure where but it sure as hell is not at any shops I have been too. Because I have been looking, AND LOOKING.

I am now nearly a whole week with no BBQ Shapes. I am sad. There is a hole in my life. I automatically walk down the biscuit aisle and go to grab a box and then I remember. And then my heart feels sad. I am hungry for a snack and I don't know what to eat. There is nothing else in the whole wide world that is that perfect combination of savoury with a teeny tiny bit of sweet. The perfect crunch. I stand at my pantry door and gaze at the spot where the BBQ Shapes should go. It is empty. There is no replacement. There is no biscuit worthy of the spot.

Bring back my BBQ Shapes Arnotts. 

Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment