Tuesday 5 April 2016

Nails. The struggle is real.

I have a secret. As classy as I like to think I am the one thing I really love is acrylic nails. You know the ones. They do not look real. People will not look at you and say " Oh doesn't she have lovely natural nails". They will say " oh look- she has fake nails."

Not like this

As much as I love Hooker nails (as I call them) I don't get them done often because I have mentioned before I have issues committing. And I just can't commit to making a date at the nail shop every few weeks. In saying that though my nails are bad. Really bad. I just don't look after them. I sometime bite the bullet and go and get some shellac which after about 2 months of up keep I get bored and bite it all off and ruin my nails even more. (Yeah, yeah I know I should try SNS).

So on Monday after a rather traumatic visit to the Orthopedic Surgeon I decided that if I can't run I will damn well have good nails. So I marched into the nail shop and said it..." I want acrylic nails please".

And within 45 minutes (she was good), which also included me translating for the deaf old lady next to me ( SHE ASKED IF YOU WANT THEM SHORTER!) I had a beautiful set of nails. Well if I am being truthful they are a little bit long. Obviously her definition of short and mine are a little different. And by GOD I LOVE THEM! But there are issues. Serious issues.

Check out these babies!


  1. I am having trouble using my phone. I am having to master the art of using my phone side ways so I make contact with the actual screen.
  2. Tying is a nightmare. I can't even use the keyboard on my computer at work because I spend forever trying to correct my mistakes from hitting the wrong buttons. Thank God for Mr Apple and their flat keyboards.
  3. Getting my contacts in and out. OH MY. This is like really, really hard. Getting them in is moderate but getting them out is just ridiculous. I have to try and pull them down and then like squish them and hope for the best.
  4. Cooking. I grated my nail.
  5. Getting the key out of the front door. My nail got wedged between the lock and the wall. 
  6. Squeezing pimples. Can't do it.
  7. Getting the hair elastic out of my daughters hair. I just can't grip that thing to flip the hair out. And seeing as my daughter needs her pony tail redone the moment it is 1mm less then "high" this is an issue.
  8. Buttons and doing up and undoing jewellery. That is why I have had the same necklace and bracelets on since Monday. I just can't get those babies off. 
  9. Opening a can of softdrink. Impossible. 
  10. Writing. I can't grip the pen properly. Which as I am half way ( oh ok. a quarter of a the way ) through writing one of my uni essays it is an issue. (surely a reason for an exemption?").
  11. Getting an micro SD card out of a camera. Impossible.
But on the upside..... I feel so damn glam. My nails are making that cute little tapping sound on the keyboard, and scratching my head feels AMAZING. And I have never talked with my hands so much in my life. I am in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment