Saturday 7 December 2013

Shopping is not for amateurs

I have two gorgeous friends one called Rachel and the other is called Rachael. Rachel is one of the funniest people I know. And so is Rachael. They both like weird triple J Australian music and approach  middle aged Australian Music Royalty ( well thats what they called him. I would have said a very drunk dodgy dressed bad dancer) in bars and take their photo.
This is not either of my friends Rachel or Rachael. It is just such a hideous photo I had to put it in.



Last night one of the Rachel's told me that she was crap at shopping. This statement doesn't surprise me because there really is a skill to being a successful shopper when it come to looking for clothes, make up and shoes. In the words of a middle-aged media teacher I know (that's me) " Fail to prepare, prepare to fail". I love shopping but I cannot wander aimlessly around the shops for hours. You need a technique. This is the technique that works for me. I will call it shopping in 5 easy steps.


Follow my 5 steps and this will never happen.

Step 1. Work out what you actually want/need. I do this by researching. I think I am probably responsible for keeping the magazine industry alive, but I also go onto Pinterest quite a lot to get ideas and inspiration. I find a look I like, assess what I actually have and then make a plan. Google your style crush and see what they are wearing for more inspiration. Polyvore is also a fab site. It is like paper dolls for grown ups and you can completely put an outfit together. You just pick all the items you want and create a look. It's rad.

Gwenyth is having a weekend style day today as well. Nothing says weekend like denim shorts,stripey top and thongs.

Step 2. Work out what your style is. I would say that mine style is classic, based around the three base shades of Black, White and Grey. I also have some"key"pieces that are colourful. I know what I like and what suits me. I know I can't do skinny skirts or pants and that I adore maxi dresses. In the summer I like shorts.  I also know I don't like anything tight, and I need to be comfortable.
This outfit is wrong because dressing in all shades if orange is not colour blocking, it is dressing like a prisoner in America. Oh and it is a fraction snug.

Step 3. Have a good look at your wardrobe and see what you have from your " I want that look" inspiration already in the wardrobe. Because I am a big one for basics I am still wearing clothes from years ago, but find I can just update with a few pieces. When I find something I like I have also been known to buy it is a few different colours. I have the same t shirt in white, grey, black, yellow and orange. I also have the same singlet in black, white, grey, red and black. and black. and black.

                               This is not a classic. Don't hang on to it. It is not coming back

Step 4 . Do online research of where you can buy it, and identify shops that you know stock your style. I mostly shop at Witchery and Zara. Sometimes I will get something from Susan (honestly) and I also get bits from Sportsgirl. These are my go to stores. Sometimes- for special stuff I will venture into the more expensive shops but because I like buying clothes I would prefer to spend $100 on a dress and get other things rather than spend $400 on just one piece.

Fashion store web sites will have put looks together for you. It is a great place to start for outfit ideas.


Step 5. Hit the shops with you plan. You know what you want, and where you should go to buy it. You will try it on on a few different sizes, and give your self an honest appraisal of what it looks like. You will not get the smaller size because you are going to lose weight because you will not. If you really can't decide get the girl to hold it behind the counter, go for a walk and if you are still thinking about it in an hour, go back and get it. I have learnt the hard way that because stock is turned over so quickly chance are if you come back in a few days it will be gone.

Step 6. Remember it is shopping. It is meant to be fun. Grocery shopping- not fun. Clothes shopping - fun.  Try something you wouldn't normally and dress for you not for anyone else. Getting back to my friend Rachel. She can pull of quirky. I cannot. My girlfriend Claire can rock a skinny jean. I cannot. You get the picture.


 To shop alone or with friends. That is the question

I guess the only thing I haven't covered is whether or not you should go shopping alone or with a friend. Personally I like to shop mostly on my own, unless I am really not sure. The friends I take shopping are my mum, my daughter and my friend Claire. Because they will be honest and this is important . These days you can also use technology and send selfies from the change rooms. But to be honest- trust you gut feelings. If you think it makes you look fat chances are it does.

Finally remember your wardrobe will never be complete. That is the fun part.

So my gorgeous Rachel I hope this helps clear up the whole issue of shopping for you. You will never be crap at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment