Sunday 1 December 2013

Gloria Jeans and a running snob

Did I mention that I am runner? I am not a very good runner, but I do run far. Apparently I have a very recognisable "gait". I think thats polite for you look really uncoordinated when you run.



I took up running about 9 years ago, when I could run about 1km.  About 5 years ago I decided to challenge myself and the City Surf 10km. The next year I decided on doing the half marathon and the last year I went for the Marathon. I have done 2 Marathons this year, and a crazy 100km trail run/walk. It still amazes me when I think about that, because there are days when even running 500m seems hard. I run 5 days a week and I find it relaxing in a painful kind of way.


I would like to tell you that the real reason I took up running was to be healthy. Actually the real reason I took up running was because I didn't want to give up eating. While I am still waiting for my emancipated runners frame to kick in, it keeps me in relatively good shape.

There are many different kinds of runners the "serious" runners- theses are the people that have 0% body fat and can run like Forest Gump.






The "I wish I could run like a serious runner" kind- which is where I think I fit in, The "Flippy Ponytail "runner. These are the girls who are decked out in there fashionable expensive running gear, and run once a week, and the "Plodder". I think that one speaks for itself. These are the ones I respect the most.

So I have to admit that I am a running wear snob. To me you run in Addidas, Nike, 2XU or Skins. Or not at all.

 Adidas ClimaCool- my running top of choice
Skins 3/4 compression pants. I tend to use these to run marathons in because they are comfy.

2XU the other running choice. The other amazing thing about these compression pants is that if you wear them AFTER the event, they help DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) AND if you wear them under you clothes they are the ultimate Spanx.


 I used to laugh and scoff at the floppy ponytailed girls in their colour coordinated Gloria Jeans- sorry Lorna Jane ( I always get those confused. I don't know why- one sells pretty overpriced coffee and the other sells pretty overpriced exercise wear.)
This is Gloria Jeans

This is Lorna Jane (This actually is the Lorna Jane)

I think the thing that used to bug me the most about Lorna Jane wear was the motivational messages on the front. I don't do motivation messages. The ones that work for me would be things like " Move Your Fat Butt" and " This is because you had two bowls of Ice Cream last night"or " Run Fat Girl, Run". Lorna Jane does things like " Believe" and "Running Makes Me Happy". This is a bare faced lie. Running makes no one happy. Unless you are one of the freak Forest Gump runners.



Motivation Lorna Jane.

So because you are not my husband, I can admit I was wrong. I still hate the motivational messages, and I still think the products are over priced, but some of there stuff is amazing. There I said it, AMAZING.

I now own 1 pair of long running pants (which I don't run in- they are "casual wear") 3 long tops, three singlets (although I bought two online and didn't realise one had motivation talk on the back- don't judge me- it was a mistake) and I have bought the absolute most AMAZING shorts. They are called marathon shorts and they have lycra bike shorts sewn in. This makes them super comfy with no chance of chaffing. They have a draw string waist bit so you can adjust them, and little zip pocket for your keys and they are kind of stretchy. I have had mine on ALL day (I only walked the dog this morning- no need to be grossed out). I am not sure how much they cost normally but I got mine 2 for $80. 

This is them- mine seemed to have come with a little bit of fat hanging over the top though. 


So the moral of the story is don't judge the girls with flippy pony tails. They just might be onto a good thing.

My favourite running song. Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment