Thursday 19 June 2014

I have been poorly.


I am one of those annoying people who sprout words of wisdom like " I don't believe in flu injections. I  don't have them and I never get sick." or " I never get the flu, it must be because I am so fit." or another favourite " I drink so much alcohol, there is no chance I could get sick." Well I should know better because fate has come and kicked me in the arse and I have been in bed, since Tuesday with my fourth cold since April.

Finally after  3 months of feeling crap on and off, the Doctor, after telling me that it was time my husband traded me in for a younger model(seriously) and then telling me to stay away from sweet foods (is he insane??) and then laughing at me when I said I had an asthmary cough ( how else do you describe an asthma cough?) diagnosed me with a sinus and respiratory infection. He gave me lots of handy hints like, hot and cold showers, eat garlic and ginger, take vitamin c, blah blah and then finally handed over the antibiotics.


 At this stage I must say just for my friend Rachael that I don't take them often, but I was desperate. He also told me I needed to manage my stress better. He asked me what I did to keep it in check. Wine and sweet food obviously - duh. But seeing as I need to stay away from the sweet stuff it looks like I am stuck with the booze.

This is a hot toddy. It needs vodka.

So let me tell you there is nothing more of a waste of a sick day than actually being sick. My head as felt like it was being squashed between something really squashy, and no amount of neurofen has got rid of it. I have tried every home remedy under the sun, including Vicks on my chest (don't wipe your hands on the tea towel after you use it, your food will taste like menthol), a hot toddy (no amount of honey can mask that taste of whisky, last time I drank whisky it was with green apple juice- that was nice. Could a hot toddy be made with vodka?) Ease a cold lozenges, lots of red sugar free cordial (well he did say cut out the sweet stuff), tutti frutti frozen yoghurt (it's got that probiotics - good for the antibiotics and I did put some lychees on it- more vitamins) Epson salt baths to cure the sore body, Vital Greens and V8 vege juice to give some vitamins and finally some 1000mg Vitamin C tablets. I have also had a heat pack superglued to my forehead, well when the dog is not superglued to my head.

I take these so I don't have to make a Kale smoothie

I have finally found some relief with the housewives drug of choice- Mersyndol. Man that stuff is good.  I can understand why housewives crush it up and put it in their coffee, or sprinkle it on their cereal in the morning.


This is Eddie and Patsy. This is not a photo of me from last weekend.


I am up to date on all my shows on Foxtel, have rediscovered my love of Absolutely Fabulous, rediscovered my hate of Huey's kitchen (why is that still on and how is that man not dead? Honestly on todays episode his face was so red he looked like Santa Claus),watched the Great British Sewing Bee (yes really) and struggled through 4 episodes of Game of Thrones (thats a whole post on it's own). I know every dish that Gordan Ramsay is going to make, and watched a doco on a 700 pound man. He had this weird thing growing on his legs it was gross.



So I am finally feeling a little bit better, and deciding whether or not to go to work tomorrow. I'm not going to lie, I am a little bit bored. That must mean I am feeling better. Right?  And I really, really want to go for a run.

And I might even consider that flu injection thing. But give up sweet things? NEVER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment