Wednesday 25 June 2014

I swear we have a big problem.

                                          

By now you have probably realised that I am a very deep thinker , and spend a lot of my time contemplating the important things. Like why people drive slowly in the outside lane, or why they haven't invented a fabric yet that heats up or cools down according to you temperature- (seriously how cool would that be?)

So on Monday I was hit with a very serious thought. We are close to running out of a truly shocking taboo swear word. This is a big problem. BIG. 

I was teaching my 3rd class of the day and after continually telling the students "stop swearing", "that language is not appropriate in classroom " "would you speak to your mum like that" and " If you don't stop swearing I am going to ring your Grandma and you have to tell her what you said" I realised the the worst swear word in the world (and I don't mean Tom Cruise, or moist) which I consider to be the "C" word, is slowly making it's way into our everyday world.

Once upon a time this word was shocking and very, very offensive. You would never, ever,every say it. Now kids are using it as a term of endearment. For example: "Hey C%#t- where have you been?". In my day the word S^#t was shocking, hell even Bloody was shocking (well now that I think about it so was hell).

Don't get me wrong I love a good swear word, and I must admit I do swear. A lot. It is common knowledge that Motherf^*%$er is my favourite word. I probably couldn't count the amount of times I say the f word a day. ( At this stage I must reassure my mum and dad that all that money they spent on my education to make me a lady wasn't wasted- I believe I swear with charm and always in the right  context.

                                              
I confess that I have used the C word myself. I may have called my husband one in the midst of a rather heated argument and it may have been followed by me throwing a pizza at him, but if you have ever been around my husband when he is stressed and tired I think you would agree it was appropriate. Well I guess if I am confessing I admit that I may have once told my son to stop acting like a C. (Yeah I know it was wrong, but don't judge me until you have a 17 year old boy.OK.) But the overuse of this word means that there is NO SWEAR WORD LEFT. 

                                                          

This word has been around for a while it would seem. I know this because last night when I was watching Game of Thrones (thats a whole post of its own-stay tuned) I noticed they used it quite a bit. And I agree with them by the way- There is no cure for being a C. But this is my point. It is only marginally shocking. What do we do? How are we going to express when we are really, really mad? What is going to attract the conflict in The Real Housewives of Melbourne? Hell they made the whole series about someone calling someone a C. Do we vote on it? Does some one make up a new word? Does a word take on new meaning? How do we make a new word happen? And then how does this new word catch on? If Gretchen Weiner couldn't make fetch happen in Mean Girls what hope is there for the rest of us?


So next time you hear someone mutter the C word tell the to stop. Unless they can come up with a new swear word. A word that is truly offensive and shocking. I'm going for Joffrey*. Or moist.

' You are such a Joffrey"- see it works.
* yes another GoT reference. I'm sorry.

all images via Pinterest





No comments:

Post a Comment