Saturday 23 November 2013

Do you have to be age appropriate?

Those men behind her are not saying she looks hot- they are hoping she will drop her bag and will have to bend over and pick it up.


I have a very good friend from work who I will call Victoria (yes-because that is her name). I have know her for a very long time because I was her Year 9 English teacher.

The other day we were chatting and she asked me " Do you reach an age when short dresses and skirts are inappropriate."
My reply was a very swift "Yes". Because I honestly believe no matter how good your legs are there comes a time when if you want to go short the outfit needs a crutch. Otherwise you may end up looking like this

                                                                   
or this

\\


So how do you decide how short is too short? Well I think if you have a moments hesitation of " is this a bit short" then you are probably right. It is. I don't think there is a rule , like when I was in primary school and you had to kneel so the nuns (or were they sisters? ) could get the ruler out and check is was no shorter than 2cm above your knee, but it needs to be long enough that if you were to bend over and pick up your phone, or get the groceries out of the trolley your kids would not completely die. 


Ahhh- nothing like the contempt of a teenager who knows everything.

So here are some examples for you
This is a no- see even VB can't pull this off.



Pretty skirt butI'm sorry this is too short. This has no bending over and getting the packet of Tim Tams out of the trolley allowance.

Just right- short enough to show off your legs, but long enough to pick up your phone.

The length issue also rears its ugly head when you deal with girly and feminine dressing. When you get older you don't want to look "girly" you want to look "feminine". There is a very big difference.
Why would you want to look like this? ( this photo came up when I googled pretty feminine dresses. Honestly)

Or this (sorry SJP this is not quirky, it is wrong)


When you could look like this????

So I hope that has cleared it up a little bit for you. I'm thinking maybe we need to tackle the theory soon that you can never be too rich or too thin (or too brown to too blonde).

Donatella- you kill me.






No comments:

Post a Comment