Tuesday 5 November 2013

The Brady Sisters of Skirts

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!!!
I think skirts these days fall into the category of The Brady Bunch girls ( my absolute most favourite television show EVER!!! That episode where Bobbie entered the ice cream eating competition because he hadn't won a trophy resonated with me because 1. I have never won a trophy and 2. I love ice cream).
The Brady sisters epitomise three of the same but different, just like the three types of skirts
1. The Marcia Brady- also known as the Maxi. I know that Marcia always wore mini's but Marcia was the stylish one in a 70's kind of way.
2. The Jan Brady- also known as the Midi skirt. It is between a maxi and a mini, not as stylish as a maxi and not as cheap as a mini. But a good all round average skirt. Kind of like Jan.
3. The Cindy Brady- also known as the mini because lets face it, the youngest always gets away with everything.

Personally I am a Marcia kind of girl. I love a good maxi skirt for a variety of reasons- mostly because they are comfy, you don't have to worry about bending over and flashing your knickers, which is not good when you are in your 40's and you work at a school, and they look great.
The golden rule of the maxi is to keep the top half plain and fitted. A nice simple t-shirt, singlet or if it is cooler a cardi or fitted jumper works so well. Anything loose will make you look like an elephant. I also think flat shoes work best either a ballet slipper or a pair of thongs (sparkly to dress it up). You could also put on a nice statement neck piece. Another plus for the Maxi is that if it is cold (or you have run a marathon the day before) you can wear  your recovery skins underneath! Win win.
Maxi for work or casual

Now for the Jan Brady. I have been flirting with the Jan lately. In fact I have two of them. The key to the midi is that it MUST, I repeat MUST be the right length. It sort of has to stop before the widest part of your calf otherwise it can make even the most awesome pair of legs look like tree trunks.  I have a midi in a really pretty pastel pink which I wear with a white tshirt and my ballet flats ( it
makes me feel like a ballerina) and a navy one which I bought from ASOS for $39!!!!. I wear it with a striped t-shirt. Once again fitted works best on top. I think you can increase the heel of your shoe here, so if you don't like flats,thongs or sandals ( I have bad feet so heels are strictly dinner shoes) you can go a bit higher. For summer I would say go the Kate Middleton and pop on a wedge.
I would die for those shoes, and sunnies.
Now for the Cindy of the skirt family- the mini. I don't have much to say about the mini. I am 42. If you really want to show off your legs that is why shorts were invented.




By the way- poor Bobbie never did win that ice cream eating competition, but it was ok
because when her got home his family gave him a trophy for being the best brother. God I loved those Brady's!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment