Wednesday 13 November 2013

The Basics


 My big Munchkin was 19 yesterday. It seems like yesterday she was just a baby munchkin. For her birthday I gave her the best present ever- money to spend on makeup. She asked me over dinner to come up with a list of basics. So this is as basic as I get, and with a bit of luck you will not end up looking like this-

Or this

                                                                            Or this


" Oh Golly Gosh- Looks like I overdid the eyeliner again"


Step 1- Primer I don't always use it but when I do foundation does go one better. It fills in the gaps. Sort of like Selleys spakfilla. There are a kazillion of these on the market but I use this one, which I have heard is the same as the Napoleon one. I am not sure if that is true but it is only $10.

Step 2- Foundation- If there is a lot of Primers there are 100 times more foundations. My advice is to find one you really like, in a colour that suits. I don't have a preference for cheap or expensive, but at the moment I have about 5 on the go, depending on my mood. If I am not in the mood for foundation I use a BB cream. I like L'oreal or Garnier.

This is my current fav. And it has an SPF.
Step 3 Conceal, Highlight and Illuminate. Now these three products are different. A highlighter does not conceal and a concealer does not highlight. First use a concealer  a shade a little lighter than your foundation to conceal or hide  and then use your highlighter over the top- under your eyes,  and just under your brow bone. At this stage you can even pop on a bit of luminator on the very top of your cheek bones. YSL touché éclat is the most well known highlighter  but I have one from Models Prefer which I prefer. I also love the MAC Strobe Liquid for my luminator.

Step 4- Eyes. I could go on about eyes for ever, but basically you need a light shade to cover the whole eye area, a darker but still light shade for the lid and then a dark shade to contour. I try to stick in the neutral shade area but I also like to sparkle. To achieve this you are best to buy a quad where the colours are already chosen for you or if you want to splurge- a palette. I love my Stila palette which I got in London but you can get it at Mecca. It is called Natural Eyes and the two colours I have used completely are Kitten and Bare. If you every only buy one eyeshadow it should be Kitten. I am using a Clinique Shadow Duo called sand dunes for the all over lid colour.
The Stila Palette


Cliniques Sand Dunes.
Next is an eyeliner- a colour somewhere in between a black and a brown is best. I only wear it on the top lid for day, then a Mascara. I love Covergirl Lash Blast range. I have tried expensive ones but I like these best.

Step 5- Blush Nars Orgasm. That is all.
Its pink, no it's peach, no it's coral, no it's sparkly, no it's just PERFECT.
Step 6- Lips  Lips are fun and easy but for basic all you need is a great neutral liner MAC Soar is my current fav, and good neutral lip colour or gloss. If I can't be bothered with colour I just lightly shade in my whole lips and then just wack on some balm or 8 Hour Cream. If you don't know what 8 hour cream is let me just say it is everything. It is a gloss, a cream for bites, burns, pimple, EVERYTHING!!!
Now I am aware that this seems like a lot of basics, but you don't have to wear them all at once. This is just a good basic starting point. 
What!!!! That is all I need?????







No comments:

Post a Comment