Saturday 23 August 2014

A tale about good customer service.

I had a really weird experience the other day. I hope you are sitting down for it. I got good customer service. TWICE. IN PERTH. IN THE SAME DAY!

Now before anyone get sensitive, let me make it clear, I did my time in retail, in fact about 10 years of it, so I feel I can make the statement that customer service in Perth tends to be crap. And I know that customers can be crap. I, however am not a crap customer, well unless they annoy me. Of course there are always awesome sales advisors or "educator" if you work at Lululemon (and lets face it for the prices they charge they can call them anything they want.) My daughter for one is a delightful retail worker. But as a general rule customer service is not something to write home about. I always get a bit of a shock when I go to Melbourne and Sydney and they sales advisors acknowledge you and are...helpful.

Some of my most memorable bits of bad service are  the women in Witchery who told me that there was no point in trying on the size 11 jeans, and they saying "Really? They fit you??" when I bought them . Or maybe the lady in Susan who asked me where in Bali I bought my Louis Vuitton bag.  Or even yesterday when the dumb security man stopped us the door because they didn't take the security tag off. He told us we had to go back to the counter but as there was a few hundred people in the store I just ripped it out. He then held it in his hand and stood in the security thing and said "but it is still beeping." and I said " No- it is beeping because you are holding the security tag in your hand and YOU are standing in the security thing."Idiot. I won't mention the name of the stood, but lets just say it starts with Z ends with A and has a "AR" in the middle.

So anyway back to my good customer service.

My youngest daughter decided that she wanted to go to book week as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz. Two days before she the day. Yes she forgets that I am not a crafty mum. Or. So.I.Thought. 
Dorothy. All my own handiwork.

Off to Spotlight I went, and got super crafty. At the till the lovely lady whose name I don't remember but was probably something nice and homely that would whip up a big batch of scones for you like a Beryl, or a Maureen, said " Oh love, this seems a bit pricey. Lets go through the receipt and make sure I did this right." Bless Beryls heart, is was correct because I bought the pre cut gingham, which is apparently "far more expensive" than the stuff they cut. I was a bit embarrassed to say that I bought the pre cut because I didn't know how to actually get the lady to cut if for me. For the price I paid for creating Dorothy I could have probably bought the original ruby slippers. 


So the next stop was Target because I had to buy a tshirt for Dorothy. $4. How the bloody hell do they make tshirts for $4? Now my local Target is the store where really you wouldn't normally know anyone besides the checkout people worked there. So you can imagine my surprise when this happened. I was greeted at the door with a bright-

" Hi, how's your day going?"
I looked around to see if she was talking to another worker behind me, but no she was talking to me.
"Ummm, good thank you." ( I didn't mention that I had a dodgy tummy because lets face it- she wouldn't have cared.)
I then made my way down to the iPod section because I needed a arm holder thingy for my iPhone. I looked around and then I heard-
" Hey there- you look like you can't find something."
Once again I looked to see who he was talking too. IT WAS ME!!
I told him what I wanted, and then he told me that he didn't have any. BUT HE SUGGESTED WHERE TO FIND ONE. 

At this stage I was starting to thing I may have swallowed one nurofen plus too many when I went to find the tshirt. I was searching through the pile when this head peered out of nowhere and asked me " If I needed any help finding the size I was after?"

At this stage I thought someone was playing a joke on me. I told her that I was fine, but "thank you for asking".

And then I went to Coles and got sighed at by a worker whose way I got in when I was trying to get something off the shelves.

And then I know all was right with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment