Sunday 17 August 2014

So we have reached the pointy end.....

Of our marathon training. You all must be exhausted from all this training I am doing for you!



So we are five weeks out from the Sydney Marathon and we have reached that stage which is commonly known as shit. It is the time of the really, really really long runs.

Now our training for this event hasn't been flash. Sorry everyone about that. I had the longest cold and flu in history- 12 weeks, which I believe has been solved by Apple Cider Vinegar, Vitamin C and Swisse Immune tablets. The I went snowboarding. But for the last 5 weeks we have been back on track.

I have been dieting steadily to remove 5kgs from my frame (thank you Lite'n'Easy) and I am running 2x 6.5kms, 1x12km and one long run anywhere from 20-28kms a week. I have done the Perth Half Marathon, I am doing the City to Surf Half marathon and then we are on the run home to the marathon (the pun is intended- I'm tired, it is the best I can do.)

So Saturday was our longest run so far, 28 freakin kilometres and yes, it is everything as bad as you would imagine it to be. I have a tactic to complete this (because I think tactics are everything for a non natural runner.

 

 
 


Its started like this. During the week I got my training singlet from Blackmores, so I put that out ready to go, I told all my running buddies that I had a 28kms to do, which I feel keeps me honest, because I know they we ask me about it on Monday. Now because I am still dieting I ensured I had a pasta dish the night before (lets just say Lite'n'Easy haven't got the memo about carb loading, charged my iPod shuffle, made sure my Garmin was charged and that my daughter hadn't disconnected it so she could charge her ipad, layed out all my clothes, had three Gu's (thats a 100 carb shot you need them because your body can't store enough carbs that you need to run those distances), set my alarm for 6am(which is criminal on a Saturday). Then I woke up strapped the balls of my feet, put on my clothes, my shoes, all my gear, jumped in the car and drove 28kms. Only joking. Drove down to the river, got out of the car and then just put one foot in front of the other for the next 3 and a bit hours.


This is GU, it will give you energy but by around the third you will feel like vomiting. I have espresso love, because it has double caffeine.


I can't tell you what I think, normally is is along the lines of " Holy Shit I hurt" or " I think I will just get fat."or "I don't even like running." I can tell you however things NOT to think when you embarking on on a 3 + hours of running.

1. By the time I finish this, I could have flown to Bali.
2. By the time I finish this I could have driven down to Margaret River AND had a crumbed chicken and cheese sausage on the way from the servo.
3. The amount of time it takes me to do this run is the equivalent of nearly half my working day.
4. In the amount of time I have run for I could have watched 2 movies.
5. In the amount of time I have run I could be asleep.


Thinking of this will kill you.

Instead I do this.

1. Go over my planned route and try to add up distances- because my maths is so bad, this can take me a really, really long time.
2. Set little goals like once I get to the nest drink foundation I can have a drink. Now there is an issue with this one because as I found on Saturday many, many drink fountains are out of action. So I got to the fountain and there was nothing but disappointment, and a very dry mouth.
3. Look for dolphins in the river (yesterday I saw 8)
4. Think about how many people you have told that you are running and how bad you will feel if you said- "nah didn't do it."
5.                                                                                                Nothing. sometimes I just think nothing at all.





After the run you will

1. Feel shattered and want to cry
2. Feel pain in your feet that you have never felt before
3. Have some chaffing somewhere ( mine is from my bra- go figure)
4. Want to have a nap but will be hurting too much to sleep.
5. Be an absolute party poopper for any event you have to go to that night. ( I am very sorry to my friends John and Tracey for being boring on Saturday night. I was too tired to even drink)

So next week we have......32km. This is our last long run before the marathon (this is the biggest distance that you do, they keep the final 10kms in the marathon as just a fun surprise.)  Umm so nearly there troops- keep up the hard work!

I leave you with the conversation I had with my mum-
" Is running a marathon really worth it ?"
" Yeah- I get a free tshirt!!".




No comments:

Post a Comment