Wednesday 1 January 2014

2013 saw a break up and I paid a high price.

2013 was for me an amazing year, but it was also the year one of the longest relationships in my life came it to an end. I broke up with blue denim jeans.

                                 How I wish I looked in jeans

It was a slow break up, one I didn't really see happening. One minute they were a staple, I would wear them nearly everyday. They were my go to, dependable, reliable, versatile.  They could go anywhere with me, casual, dressy, work. If I was going on a holiday they would be the first thing I would turn to.

At first I don't think I had even noticed that we were going our separate ways, but slowly my first choice when I headed to the wardrobe were not my beloved Nobody Skinny jeans, it was my Zara black jeans, my black witchery skinny's or my super comfy thick leggings. (Yes I know that leggings are not pants but leggings ARE pants if they are a. thick b. not see through and c. your butt is covered.)

Denim Jeans and I have always had a love hate relationship. I love them, but my body shape does not. I  am a classic pear shape. Thanks Mum. ( don't start me on the fact that my brother got the skinny jean gene). There is no classic pair for a classic pear. It is always a struggle and a bit traumatic to find a pair that fits around the waist, is not too tight in the thighs, is the right length, blah, blah, blah. The addition of stretch in jeans did ease the situation, but still shopping for jeans could depress me for weeks. Or at least until I could find a piece of cake to ease the pain. And I don't really like cake.


About two months ago I looked at the stack of 10 pairs (why are the called pairs when there is only 1?) and I thought  "Damn it today I am going to put away the peggings ( thats what I call pant leggings) and put on my jeans". It was a struggle as I pulled them over my thighs (thats nothing new), more of a struggle as I pulled them over my butt (once again, not unusual), and near on impossible to do up. I thought to myself " oh they must have shrunk in the dryer and my body shape has changed from all my running and I now have a JLo butt. I then realised half way the day that they weren't giving as usual, and then the absolute worst thing happened. I put my hand in the pocket, which was a struggle in itself, and realised that there was a tissue in the pocket. They hadn't shrunk in the wash. I had expanded.

                                     This is not me, but I am sure my back view looked like this.

Those months of wearing my comfy stretchy pants had resulted in my lower half becoming a little more comfy. I had somehow let my self go because I didn't have my standard weight check of "if the jeans fit life is ok".  I gave up weighing myself ages ago because

1. I exercise a lot so my weight can go up and down by a kilo a day

2. I eat a lot so my weight can go up and down by a kilo a day

3. I bad result on the scales will mean that no one will like me and people will talk about the size of my butt behind my back. (OK I made that bit up but that is what my brain tells me)

I had forgotten that all my pants were still fitting because they either had an elastic waist or were made made from stretchy fabric. Whoops.

So didn't denim jeans get me good for the break up!!!!

I am slowly trying to get off the winter weight (just like a bear) and please don't ask how someone who runs at least 10 km a day can put on 5 kg over winter, (Yes I weighed myself to shock myself into action). Just go back to the " I eat a lot section". Lesson learnt.

Because it is summer, I don't think I will be wearing denim any time soon, except for my denim shorts, but I don't think I we will stay apart for ever. I can see a reconciliation in the future. I just have to loose that 5 kg so I can pull them over my butt and wear them without walking like a tin solider who can't bend over.

Here is some awesome ways to wear the jean of the season. The boyfriend jean, a bit distressed, and can be dressed up or down. And the skinny, If your butt is bigger just wear a longer line t shirt and tuck the front bit up. It will hide your butt, but still give you some shape.








No comments:

Post a Comment