Friday 10 January 2014

You'd better run for your mother run fast for your sister....


I am a runner, mostly because I am an eater. The two go hand in hand. Anyway running is good for me because it is when I do my best thinking (apart from 2 am in the morning). I have notices though that most people are in awe and say " I could never run that far." In my defence I do run far, I have done a few marathons and a 100km trail run and average about 40km a week.


But I am coming clean. You can run. Anyone can run, there is nothing special. but it is hard, it is just a question of doing it, committing to it , and running through the pain. So here is my disclaimer- I am not a professional in the field of sports and training. I am a trained media teacher, I am qualified to teach you about film and television, but I can tell you about my experience of running. If you hurt your self that is your problem. So here goes. My tips to becoming a runner

.

1. Find a goal. This to me is important. If I have no goal I have no reason to get myself out of bed at 5 in the morning. My goals this year are- The Bridges, Run for a Reason, The Perth and Freo Half Marathons, The Perth, City to Surf and Sydney Marathon and the 100km Trail run for Oxfam.  So find your goals and pick one.Or two. Or three
This is the program of Perth Runs this year. Click to find one you like

2. Tell as many people as you can that you can that you are doing it. My tactic here is that the more people you tell, the less likely you are to stop training. You can fail yourself, but not all you Facebook friends. ( If your friends get frustrated with you posting too bad)


3. Start slow. This is so, so, so ,so important. You do not begin running by running for as far as you can as fast as you can. In the world of modern technology you can download a cazillion apps that will teach you how to run, so do that or do it old school. Lamp-posts. Yep. Run the distance between a lamppost, walk the distance between a lamppost, then increase to two lamppost run, one walk, three run, one walk. You get the picture? There is no hurry here. If you start slow you will not injure yourself, or lose interest.


4. Remember that it is hard. Yep running hurts, you get breathless, you swear, you feel uncomfortable, you hate every minute. And then you are finished and you feel amazing. Hot, sweaty and sore, but amazing and very proud. Just remember- If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.


5. Get the right gear. Good shoes are vital. Go to a good shoe store, (visit the lovely Laura at Jim Kidds in the City) and get fitted for shoes. Proper shoes are the key to your success. I also really Sports Fever in Subi. They made me try on 12 shoes, before we got the right one. I use Brooks Adrenalin. They are amaze.

Also but some fun running clothes. They make you feel happy. Also have some gear for any occasion. I have jumpers, singlets, gloves, visors, beanies, long skins, short skins.....

6. Buy some gadget. A shuffle is a must. When you are starting you need music. It makes you forget what you are doing. Get the best possible playlist you can and mix it up with fast songs and slow songs.


7. Consider a Garmin. My Garmin watch has changed my life. It links with a satellite and tells me how far, and how fast I am going (it does heaps of other stuff but I haven't read the instructions). This sets me a challenge. Seriously- if you have a special birthday coming up, get one. You will love it.
This is my sexy little Garmin. I must love it to wear something this ugly.

8. Find a buddy. My buddy is Nicole. We meet at 5 every morning. Rain, hail or shine. When I wake up feeling like I want to roll over and go back to sleep, I know I can't. Nic is waiting. And she is scary. Very,very, scary.



9. Subscribe to Runners World magazine or like their page on Facebook. They will add a bit of extra motivation, and some little hints.Look at Runners World here.


10. Just do it. Nike knew what they were talking about. Sometimes you just have to do it.

So I hope this gives you a bit of encouragement if you need that extra push. 

If you need any motivation I will be the one with the very un coordinated running style running around Burswood River at 5 in the morning. Feel free to join me.xx

Here are my favourite running songs at the moment.

Enjoy


   Happy. You won't be happy when you run, but you can try.

                        Eye of the Tiger. Enough said.


The beat of Lose Your self is perfect for running


So is Florence and the Machine. If you can't run for your mother, who can you run for???

MIA- Paper planes. Great running beat

 
Flo Rida ( He is from Florida get it) just a good running song.

Titanium- This is actually my theme song. " I'm bullet proof, nothing to lose, fire away, fire away."

No comments:

Post a Comment