Thursday 23 January 2014

An open letter to FIFO workers everywhere- but especially in Perth airport

 Dear FIFO workers,

On Tuesday morning I went to the Qantas terminal to begin my little adventure to Sydney. Well I think  it was the Qantas terminal because that's where the plane left from, but it would seem I was actually in FIFO world, because I was one of the only people who was female and not wearing high vis wear. Not that I have an issue with Fluro. I have a fab pair of Fluro pink shorts. Had I known about the dress code I would have worn them.

Now normally I love the airport, I have a routine, I buy a magazine,I get a coffee ( from watermark at the back of the magazine shop- not the dodgy shop in the middle, they have real baristas. I know they are real because they are hipsters with facial hair and they say things like " coffee up") I then drink said coffee, have a wander, wonder why they need a Witchery at the airport and then sit down, play on my phone and make up stories about my fellow travellers and wonder why people queue at the gate before it boards - you have a seat people, you are not going to have to stand.

I found somewhere to sit. I settled down and then the men behind me began talking. Loudly. I learnt a lot. His  favourite words was f@$k. That's ok, it is mine as well, but not in public when surrounded by people. He wins though because he used it every third word. I learnt where he lives, what car he drives about who he wanted to sleep with up at the mine, how he hopes his wife doesn't find out. Just a suggestion- maybe if you don't discuss it so loudly she won't.

At this stage I got up and went for a walk. It was like playing dodgeball because they would not move. I then sat somewhere else. I shouldn't have bothered because the conversations were the same. All the same. I put my headphones on.

My point FIFO  of the world is this. You are not at work until you get to the mine and the terminal doesn't belong to you. That means that you put your going out manners on in the terminal. Pretend your nana is sitting next to you- so you can be a little bit cheeky, but not offensive. You respect that other people use the terminal and some of these people may not be locals. They don't understand that not all Perth people act that way. You mind your language. You are careful about your topic of conversation. I don't want to know about how you cheat on your wife. And your girlfriend. Or that you are glad to get away from the kids because the are " really f!&ken annoying" ( you wife probably feels the same) I would probably say that these manners apply to being on the plane as well. When you get to the mine feel free to act how you want to.

I know  you are heading back to work and that is pretty crappy, but you are sharing a space and there is nothing wrong with having a bit of class.

Thanks

Emma

P.S. I am also aware that some FIFO's are kind, gentle,courteous souls so I am sorry to lump you in the category. I aware I am judging a sub culture by the behaviour demonstrated by a few. But that is the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment