Tuesday 7 January 2014

Frozen a movie review

I thought I would go off track and give you a review of a movie I went and saw with India (my 8 year old daughter) today.

Going to children's movies is one of the most horrific part of parenthood for me, apart from doing reading that is. You see I hate animation. HATE, HATE, HATE. I think it goes back to when I was little and my mum took me and my brother to see Fantasia. I remember getting into trouble as I tried to climb under the seat in front of me, which I was doing in the hope that my mum would drag me out of there. She didn't, in those days movies were a treat, We put on our best clothes and caught the bus into the city. You never left until it was over.

I guess in saying that animation is getting better, and I do like Despicable Me, but still, it is just not real. I don't like animal movies either, because animals can't sing and dance. I don't like fantasy either, but I was hoping that my love of Princess's would over come all the other stuff. (yes it has talking animals, and it is fantasy. )

So the movie Frozen is made by Disney. Disney is doing some good stuff lately, but I don't really understand why Disney don't just get Pixar to make all their animation because in my eyes Pixar does it better, and Disney own Pixar. Anyway I digress, I watched the trailer before we went because I knew nothing about the film. I did get a little bit excited when I realised that Veronica Mars-I mean Kirsten Bell was in it, but I was worried that I would be thinking about her and sloths all the way through it


The only other name I recognised was  Idina Menzel who plays Rachels mum in Glee. The penny should have dropped then that there was going to be singing.


                                         Seriously- how are they not related??

The movie began in almost the same fashion as Les Miserables (one of the most depressing movie in the world- the other is getting a mention soon ) as in an underwater shot with feet panning up to lots of big men pulling boats, sorry cutting ice. And they were singing. About cutting ice.

                                       Please nooooooooo

Then we cut to two cutie sisters, who are Princess, they are best friends, they play, they make a snowman after the big sister turns the ballroom into an ice skating rink and then hits the little sister in the head with ice. The dad - the King, takes them to meet the rocks who are actually trolls and they tell the big sister to hide her "magic" and she withdraws from her sister. The big troll also "mentions " that lucky she didn't hit her in the heart because that can't be fixed.Mmmm I wonder if that will come up later......

                 Elsa and Anna- Those cutie little noses!!

The movie then takes the typical Disney twist- something bad happens. Why is that? Like in Up which is surely the most depressing start to a movie ever. So the King and Queen die (oh come on it's not a spoiler, it's Disney classic narrative) and the big sister won't talk to the little sister and the little sister starts singing. Who knew Veronica Mars could sing??Oh God. I am really stuck in Les Mis. 


  The big sister become a sexy ice vixen , in a dress Donatella Versace would be proud of

The girls grow up the big sister becomes queen, little sister falls in love, upsets big sister by getting engaged to someone who she only met at the beginning of a song, big sister freezes the entire city, she runs aways, sings a song, decides she like the cold and transforms into a sexy ice queen vixen.  It must be a family thing because when both girls sing, they run from room to room, to different locations and fling open doors in a dramatic manner.

Little sister goes and finds her ( in the cold, in a dress, with no snow boots. She is one tough Princess) She meets an ice seller who has a reindeer for a best friend, he helps her, they meet a snowman, he helps them, as they search for the big sister to thaw the city. The snowman is funny. He wants to experience Summer. Stupid snowman.


 Then the film made a turn from Les Mis to Transformers, when a big transformer snow man appeared and chased the little sister and the ice man.

He looked way more like a scary transformer in the movie. Nothing like a marshmallow at all.

I won't tell you anymore because I don't want to ruin the story, but lets just say if you have seen a Disney movie before you know where this one is going. 

The best thing about this movie is the theme- that love can save everything. (I kind of condensed that but you get the drift). And the Prince or the Ice Seller doesn't save them. They save themselves.

The movie was ok. Most people gave it 4 stars. The singing was very good, even though it was singing ( God Glee has a lot to answer for). I would love a day when you could start singing to express yourself. I might try that tomorrow. The animation was good, and the script was funny in parts. The characters are cute. The movie is nice. 


What was also nice is that the temperature in the cinema matched the title of the film. Maybe they do that to get you into character. Like 4D. Or whatever they call it.

Here is the trailer-



And here is Demi Lovato singing Let it Go which is the song from the film. Indi says that she sings it better and I would never argue with an 8 year old over such important issues.


I give it 3 stars. It would have been 3 and half but the cinema had no choc tops. My frozen (haha) coke didn't cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment