Tuesday 14 January 2014

What's your uniform?

I don't mean like your uniform uniform, like the one you have to wear to work (or school). Thank god I don't have a uniform, because after 5 years of an apple green shirt, with a bottle green skirt, blazer, jumper, green and yellow tie, not to mention the brown stockings and brown shoes, I can safely say if I never see a uniform that I am forced to wear I will be happy. I am still intrigued that there are so many different shades of green, and also that the school is wearing the same jumper since 1933. It is no wonder I have issues with green. Well except of course for Pantone 2013 colour of the year Emerald Green. Personally though I would give it a miss on your nails. If you are over 15 it looks like you have a nasty fungus. Seriously.



I mean to say your unofficial uniform - your go to outfits that you know you

a. look good in
b. can throw on without too much thought
c. can be ready in a flash.

These three things are what make a uniform such a good and worthwhile thing. It is quick easy and you feel like yourself.

I really didn't realise how much of a uniform I had until I went shopping last week because I need a strapless black maxi dress - because my other 6 black maxi dressed just didn't cut it. Yes I really have 6 black maxi dresses. Well 7 now if you count my new one.




This is the dress I bought. It was from Sportsgirl which is on sale here- even cheaper than when I bought it. Another plus is that unless you have big boobs you need a smaller size than normal, as my size 8 testifies.

When I got home, I put my keys on the table and realised it would appear that I also have a sunglass uniform
They may look like 4 very similar pairs of black oversized sunnies, but to me they are very different and special, and each one is suited to a different occasion.

My other uniform is shorts either denim or black, teamed with a singlet, either white, black or grey. Speaking of basic singlets and tops- a visit to Portmans found an amazing selection of basic tees and singlets for the bargain price of $24 each or 2 for $40. Yep. Practically free.have a look here is you need some basics in your life

For either outfit accessories are a follows

Footwear, thongs, either Havaianas or any colour but usually black, silver jewelled thongs, or Birkenstocks.

Hair- either in a ponytail, or a top knot. There are heaps of ways to do a top knot, but I tend to favour a messy knot, which involves a high pony, some dry shampoo, wrapping the hair around itself (in an attempt to make it look thicker) some bobby pins and a good squirt of hairspray. I don't like those sock things I think the look is too perfect.

Here is one way to do a knot. If you are still stuck, head to Pintrest or Youtube. There are plenty of tutorials on both . Practise and muck around, and the dirtier you hair the better. This is a perfect 3 day dirty style.

Makeup- a little bit of bb cream, concealer, illuminator, two shades of eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush, lip liner and a bit of gloss. My eyeshadows and gloss is Stila. I get it from Mecca Cosmetica- a bit expensive, but awesome.

Jewels- Watch (my man style Swatch which I have had forever), a long necklace, and either a bracelet or a bangle.

                                              
So essentially this is my holiday uniform. I favour a black maxi because it can be dressed up or down, and they are just damn comfy.

I actually think most people have uniform, look at Angelina Jolie has a uniform of all black, and she is also a fan of the maxi,

 Helena Bonham Carter favours the weird,


Jennifer Anniston rocks a classic style and jeans are a constant.


So how to decide what your uniform is?

Have a look in your wardrobe, what ever you have a lot of is what you like and feel comfy in. 
Ask your friends what clothes and or stores they think of when they think of you.
Look at lots of magazines, or Pinterest and see what your fav celeb wears.
Go shopping- try on things you wouldn't normally wear or things you do wear. Last week when I went shopping with a friends, I tried on outfits I would never normally wear. They looked nice, but felt wrong.
Add something a little different to your uniform, whether it is a scarf, a different coloured piece of foot ware, a different lipstick shade. This is important because while you can stick to you uniform you want to keep it current.  
Know what suits you shape. I would love my uniform to be a skinny jean. I have thighs a kick boxer would be proud of. Skinny jeans are not my things, but I can rock a boyfriend jean.

If all else fails- steal someone else's style.
 Or take me shopping with you. Whatever works.

I will leave you with a picture of a big fat cat.  Because this is seriously the biggest fattest cat I have ever seen.

P.S Remember that if the writing is in a colour it is a link, so clip and it will lead you to a shop, and I apologise for the small font. My internet is being dumb and won't let me make it bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment